New Visitor
terri

Brammy - Is this common?

[ Edited ]
A while back I got an offer for a low interest rate credit card. I called to ask about it because I wanted to transfer a high rate card balance to a much lower interest rate.

They said I was declined (I wanted a $9000 or so limit)....but in the mail a couple of weeks later I got an actual card, ready to go with a limit of $3000.

Is that common? I figured since I was declined that was end of story. The person on the phone didn't say anything about a lower limit etc yet I got a card in the mail, info on the limit, and the peel of label that said to activate it call the automated #....I was kind of shocked to say the least. I now have an extra card that I don't use but figured in an emergency it might be good to have. I haven't activated it though.

Message Edited by terri on 04-19-2007 10:42 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Tuscani

Re: Brammy - Is this common?

Non uncommon. Just because you were declined for what you asked does not always mean you won't get something.
Moderator Emeritus
masdeocho

You can request a higher limit in a few months, provided you've been paying on time, not exceeding the current limit, etc.
-----------------
Bartender, bring another round of FICOtinis please!

9.4.2011: TU 805. EQ 815.
htc

A better idea would be to save up $3K in an instant access savings account for emergencies- Capital One has one that pays ~5% interest.   Then shred that card (but don't close the account - the extra 'room' on your CR will be handy)
Valued Contributor
TheNewWorldMan

Shredding the card will mean it eventually goes inactive. Don't shred the card. Just use it for small purchases once in a while and then pay the purchases off promptly. And bug them for CLIs every six to nine months or so.
- - - -
in a credit-scoring postnuclear Stone Age...

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+