Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CHASE bank....ggggrrrr!

tag
reereetx
Contributor

CHASE bank....ggggrrrr!

I got a card in the mail a few weeks ago about opening up a Chase account and getting $100.  So, I thought ok, whatever.  I went online and it "approved" me for a new checking account which has been fine.  I received the $100 Bonus last week.  Yesterday however, the entire remaining balance in that account (which luckily was only $195.11....it could have been worse) was wiped out.  I called Chase and all they could tell me what that it appeared Chase was the one pulling it out of my account but that they couldn't see anything until today when it gave a transaction number, although nobody has called me back yet.  When I go to my account online, it just says transferred to another account, but doesn't give any trans. # or anything else.  The customer service rep asked if I had ever defaulted on a student loan or another account or anything.  I told her I had a Chase account several years ago that I closed.  I admit....it was overdrawn when I closed it (this was back when I didn't manage my finances well at all)....anyways, I'm thinking that is what this is for, but how do I know for sure?  Does anyone here have a number or address to contact Chase about it?  Nothing is on my credit report about owing Chase money and I have never received anything in the mail or any calls regarding it.  I will admit I probably do owe them money and am willing to pay them back...but I want to see details as to what I owe and all and perhaps set up a payment arrangement with them instead of them just wiping out my account everytime I stick money in there.  I don't even have a clue if I still owe them after they took this $195 out or what.  I'd like to keep the account, but I can't have money taken out every time I turn around.  This will just put me back in the financial mess I was in before and I have worked hard to get back on track.  Now I feel I'm going backwards.  Chase is such a large company I'm not even sure where to begin.  I guess I'm just irritated that I haven't ever been contacted about it. I would have worked out a payment arrangement a long time ago.  I guess that's what I get for "assuming" they just wrote it off their books and it was old news.  A year or 2 after I had that account closed, I tried to open an account and it was not approved, thist time it was.  Thanks for listening to my vent and offering any contact info.  Just not sure about this.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CHASE bank....ggggrrrr!

@reereetx wrote:
I got a card in the mail a few weeks ago about opening up a Chase account and getting $100.  So, I thought ok, whatever.  I went online and it "approved" me for a new checking account which has been fine.  I received the $100 Bonus last week.  Yesterday however, the entire remaining balance in that account (which luckily was only $195.11....it could have been worse) was wiped out.  I called Chase and all they could tell me what that it appeared Chase was the one pulling it out of my account but that they couldn't see anything until today when it gave a transaction number, although nobody has called me back yet.  When I go to my account online, it just says transferred to another account, but doesn't give any trans. # or anything else.  The customer service rep asked if I had ever defaulted on a student loan or another account or anything.  I told her I had a Chase account several years ago that I closed.  I admit....it was overdrawn when I closed it (this was back when I didn't manage my finances well at all)....anyways, I'm thinking that is what this is for, but how do I know for sure?  Does anyone here have a number or address to contact Chase about it?  Nothing is on my credit report about owing Chase money and I have never received anything in the mail or any calls regarding it.  I will admit I probably do owe them money and am willing to pay them back...but I want to see details as to what I owe and all and perhaps set up a payment arrangement with them instead of them just wiping out my account everytime I stick money in there.  I don't even have a clue if I still owe them after they took this $195 out or what.  I'd like to keep the account, but I can't have money taken out every time I turn around.  This will just put me back in the financial mess I was in before and I have worked hard to get back on track.  Now I feel I'm going backwards.  Chase is such a large company I'm not even sure where to begin.  I guess I'm just irritated that I haven't ever been contacted about it. I would have worked out a payment arrangement a long time ago.  I guess that's what I get for "assuming" they just wrote it off their books and it was old news.  A year or 2 after I had that account closed, I tried to open an account and it was not approved, thist time it was.  Thanks for listening to my vent and offering any contact info.  Just not sure about this.

Hi reereetx,

Any time you open any account with a bank or other financial institution you agree to give them "Right of Offset". It is in the fine print in any financial agreement. What that means is any time you go into the negative or default on an account and do not make it good, you authorize the bank to attach funds you may have in any other account with them to offset the negative balance.

You should be able to contact Chase regarding your past account and get the amount you were in the negative prior to your closing it. Money owed is money owed no matter how long ago it was.

CB

Message 2 of 3
cobra
Established Member

Re: CHASE bank....ggggrrrr!

Yes, tx. That is exactly what happened. At one time you had a delinquent account with Chase and now (why at this particular point in time, who knows) they saw money in you account and just took it.

Happened to me a few years back. I woke up one Saturday AM (seems like it's always on a wekeend) and my account was looted. I wasn't able to learn anything until the folowing Monday.

You need to talk to Chase Security - sorry, I once had their phone number but no longer. A Chase csr should be able to put you through to security during normal business hours. Or you could go to a branch.

I

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.