cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Reporting Nightmare

tag
MIAMI_FL

Capital One Reporting Nightmare

I have filed numerous disputes with Capital One. Re-aging of account in 2006, reporting different data on same accounts to 2 CRAs, not reporting charge off/closed dates on accounts, modifiying the reporting status....etc.

I reported them for violations of the FCRA & FACTA to the FTC, OCC, Va. AG, and BBB. I did this in March 2009 due to the fact they were not responding, yet they were verifying my disputes as valid. What did they do?? They modified the coding on the reports for Experian and TransUnion in March 2009 so that the items appear as "Key Derrogatory" (KD) and ensured that every month they report the account as "CHARGE OFF" extending the date. This is not what they were reporting before. When I spoke to TransUnion and Experian both they adviised that though I had the documentation from the reports to show consistent irregularities and that apparently this issues were inconsistent, they could not mediate and were dependent on the furnisher which was confirming this as "VALID". The only way they could remove is if they did not respond to the dispute.

The accounts are reporting different status dates with Experian vs. TransUnion. Experian has 2 accounts both set to drop off in 11/2010. TransUnion dropped one account and the other is set to drop off 1/2010.  The same accounts with different status dates (whcih were re-aged in 2005-2006). 

According to the FCRA, if the information is invalid, inaccurate or cannot be verified it should be deleted. Apparently, the CRAs are only reading the "verified" portion of the law, because though I have spent hundreds of $ in disputes and considerable time, nothing is being resolved and Capital One refuses to speak to me provide me with original contracts, itemization of how they are arriving at what I owe...etc... They state they are not conducting any research and that the account is administratively "CLOSED". 

They are reporting incorrectly and negatively affecting my scores, and credit worthiness. The FTC does nothing but log it in their database.  Where is consumer protection?  

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Capital One Reporting Nightmare

Reporting a CO or KD every month is not hurting your score.  It would be the initial report of the CO/KD that did that.  If they report CO or every month it is legal.

How did they reage your account?  What was the original DOFD and what is it now.

Maybe I do not see what exactly you are talking about.

Message 2 of 4
MIAMI_FL

Thank you,  2005- 2006 Credit report had different CO dates.  These were changed when I disputed.  The 2 items dropped off Equifax, 1 from TransUnion (06/09) and the other is scheduled to drop off from TU on 01/2010. Experian shows 11/2010....DOCO 07/04.  

They were reporting the accounts as "OPEN" - no closed dates.   They corrected this with Experian on 8/12/209.  After 3 years of disputing the same thing.

Ridiculous what they get away with. I have sent all docs to FTC, including copies of 2006 reports & have not heard anything.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi MIAMI_FL,

It might help everyone to understand if you could post the before & after tradelines (minus any personally identifying information, such as your name and the account number).

When was the date of first default (DoFD) on this account? This is the date that you officially fell behind, never again bringing the account current (month and year). Did you make any payments, or payment arrangements after the DoFD?

How did you contact Cap1? Did you send the the OC letter, CM or CMRR? Did they respond in writing?

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.