Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I get by?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How can I get by?

My prepayment penalty on my mortgage expires on June 28th. I can't wait to refi because I've got good enough credit now not to get a loanshark rate. I just popped up over 620 but am expecting a big boost shortly when I get my cards paid off. I've got about $1000 on 3 cards. I don't know if I can afford to pay off my credit cards right now. I am behind on a lot of stuff and it's all I can do to tread water. I have been thinking about trying to pay them off right before they report to the bureaus and then using them to pay bills after they report but that can be risky. I don't want to take any chances. So here is my question. With a 620 score, where can I get a $1000 or $1500 to catch me up till I can refi in June? I don't want a new credit card because that will hurt my credit. Is it a good idea to get an installment loan to pay down my revolving lines? Will a new account right now hurt my score? Any suggestions?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How can I get by?

madriley wrote:
My prepayment penalty on my mortgage expires on June 28th. I can't wait to refi because I've got good enough credit now not to get a loanshark rate. I just popped up over 620 but am expecting a big boost shortly when I get my cards paid off. I've got about $1000 on 3 cards. I don't know if I can afford to pay off my credit cards right now. I am behind on a lot of stuff and it's all I can do to tread water. I have been thinking about trying to pay them off right before they report to the bureaus and then using them to pay bills after they report but that can be risky. I don't want to take any chances. So here is my question. With a 620 score, where can I get a $1000 or $1500 to catch me up till I can refi in June? I don't want a new credit card because that will hurt my credit. Is it a good idea to get an installment loan to pay down my revolving lines? Will a new account right now hurt my score? Any suggestions?

I would never reccommend missing any payments on any cards.  As I advised my son as he is getting ready fortheadult world, Ifyou can't afford to pay your credit card, take the bill money and pay the card then pay the bills with the card.  That being said, check with your local bank about the ability to secure a loan.  I would never reccomend a finance company as it reflects negatively, but not as negatively as a mised payment.  A new account may nitially lower your score but if you have no installment accounts it will add positively to your mix of credit.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

So if I get an installment loan, will it not count against my utilization? If that's the case, then like a no brainer to take a small hit with a new account to get a large boost from paying off the revolving accounts. Am I on to something here?
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even though a new account can initially lower your score the adition to your credit mix will increase it over the long term  Just make sure yu can afford te loan for the next several months
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.