Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More questions (Looked first)

tag
Macchamps75
Regular Contributor

More questions (Looked first)

Hey guys i am new to the sit and posted before got a lot of help, looked around and learned a lot. Got a few more questions

1.) I had two 500 dollar Capital one cards that i combined to one card with a 1,000 dollar limit. Will this hurt me or help me? ( my total ballance is around 50% )

2.) I have a company credit card that was given at work 2 or 3 years ago.  The card has the company name on it and my name on it. Is how they pay the card going to help or hurt my credit?

3.) I sent out a few GW letters one for collections for verizon DSL, Anybody have any luck with them? I also sent one out to Sallie Mae, nobody that i could see on here has had any luck with them.  It was a 90 day late then paid in full. ( I know i should have told them to not report it and pay in full but paid before i was informed of this great site)

4.) I know almost nothing about disputes. To be honest i have done a lot of reading but get mixed up with all the kinds of disputes. I wanted to know about the dispute thing. Is it good to dispute everything? Can i get in trouble for trying to dispute something that they can prove it? Any links to common questions about disputes? Better to dispute online or mail? Dispute the OC or the person that had the debt last?

5.) I have 14 inquires on my CR. How can i get these off? When i was trying to find a car i was dumb and let them run my credit and they did it way to much. If i dispute them who do i dispute to get the inquiries off? The CAs? or the person that ran my credit? What are the chances of getting these to drop off?

Thanks a lot for the help guys and gals.

Thanks guys.

3/04/2008: TU 555 EQ 532 EX 581
9/25/2014: TU 563 EQ 691 EX 655

Cards: CO 1500CL, CO 500CL CU 5,000CL
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Macchamps75
Regular Contributor

Re: More questions (Looked first)

Also on my CR it shows Sallie Mae as as a 0 balance with a 90 day late I sent a GW to them Then it also shows a SM servicing says "Unrated or Bankrupcy" When the account was paid in full. What does this mean?

I have a cell phone bill that was sent to collections. I called and paid the OC in full for the ammount and now the company that owns the debt is still showing as a collection. I paid the OC about a year ago if not more. Any idea on what to do about this? I did not know it had even went to collections i just called the OC and paid my bill.

Message 2 of 10
gdtobefree
Established Contributor

bear with me and I will try to address one by one if I can.

1.) I had two 500 dollar Capital one cards that i combined to one card with a 1,000 dollar limit. Will this hurt me or help me? ( my total ballance is around 50% )
Try to get this down as much as you can before they reort next month a good % is under 30%

2.) I have a company credit card that was given at work 2 or 3 years ago.  The card has the company name on it and my name on it. Is how they pay the card going to help or hurt my credit?
I have heard horror stories on this, since you are now a authorized user if your co doesn't pay the card them they can come after you,(don't know if this is still true or not) otherwise it should not be on your credit, it it is dispute it as not yours.

3.) I sent out a few GW letters one for collections for verizon DSL, Anybody have any luck with them? I also sent one out to Sallie Mae, nobody that i could see on here has had any luck with them.  It was a 90 day late then paid in full.
Verizon I don't know about, there was someone on here that did GW Sallie Mae with good results
Did you send the GW to the OC or the CA? Hopefully the OC.. if the letter didn't work don't give up make a phone call, maybe by some chance you will get someone that is new and will feel sorry for you and get it off or even delete the account all together.

( I know i should have told them to not report it and pay in full but paid before i was informed of this great site) It is OK I made a bunch of boo boos before I found the site too we all have at some point or another.

4.) I know almost nothing about disputes. To be honest i have done a lot of reading but get mixed up with all the kinds of disputes. I wanted to know about the dispute thing. Is it good to dispute everything?
It never hurts to try, If you try to do too many disputes on the same account then they get suspicious.
Can i get in trouble for trying to dispute something that they can prove it?
They will tell you item already disputed and verified, NOW if you know it is not correct and you have disputed it then it is time to go to the OC and validate the debt, NEVER go through the CA to DV 1st.
Better to dispute online or mail?
It is not suggested that you dispute online best to go with mail, takes longer but from what I understand if you dispute online it gives the OC some extra days I think it is 15 days more to validate.
They legally have 30 days through mail. Online they have legally 45 days.

EDITED!

WHEW did I miss anything?

Message Edited by fused on 02-03-2008 07:32 AM
Message 3 of 10
misfit928
New Contributor

Wow gdtobefree! my hats off to you for answering all of the questions and all in one breathe. that deserves a big round of applause. i was winded just from reading it.Smiley Wink
Message 4 of 10
gdtobefree
Established Contributor

LOL
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know you already got one response, but I want to add a couple things.

1) From what I understand, you'll see a better score jump if you get your utilization under 9%.

2) They can't come after you if your company doesn't pay the debt. FICO 08 is supposed to remove authorized users from the equation so it shouldn't hurt your score if they do pay it late.

3) Sometimes GW letters take a few tries. Try sending it to someone higher up. Some people have had results with sending letters through planetfeedback. Sallie Mae is a hard one. They're actually bound by the Higher Education Act which requires them to report accurately. There was a post recently about someone who had luck with a GW so it can't hurt to try.

4) You should dispute inaccuracies. Go through each bad tradeline looking for errors. Make sure the dates and amounts match your records. It's generally recommended to dispute through the mail rather than online. If you have someone on violations, it's better to have a paper trail. Online disputes take 30 days just like mailed ones; the exception being if you dispute from one of the free FACTA ones, in which case they have 45 days.

5) Try calling the CRA on the car shopping inquiries and ask them to combine them. They should do it. If you have any other inquiries, see if you recognize who they are and if it's from something you applied for. If you don't recognize them or don't remember applying for credit with them, send them a letter stating you don't understand why they pulled your credit, ask what was their permissable purpose, and request deletion if they had no permissable purpose. Disputing through the CRA isn't something I'd suggest. It rarely works and usually backfires by getting a fraud alert put on.
Message 6 of 10
Macchamps75
Regular Contributor

thanks a lot for all of the help guys.   I will try to call the CRA's and see if they can combine the inquires. Also i will see what i can do to dispute.

On an up notes i called a company that had sent something to collections i called back a year ago and paid the OC they never told the person that owned the debt that i had paid till 6 months later. now 6 months later it still shows as paid but in collections. I called the OC today and told them the deal the lady said that she would have it removed from ever being sent to collections. She said if it was not off in 30 days to call back.  Will this help my credit any?

Got to take down sallie Mae now with a GW on that 90

Message 7 of 10
Macchamps75
Regular Contributor

5) Try calling the CRA on the car shopping inquiries and ask them to combine them. They should do it. If you have any other inquiries, see if you recognize who they are and if it's from something you applied for. If you don't recognize them or don't remember applying for credit with them, send them a letter stating you don't understand why they pulled your credit, ask what was their permissable purpose, and request deletion if they had no permissable purpose. Disputing through the CRA isn't something I'd suggest. It rarely works and usually backfires by getting a fraud alert put on.

So it would be worth my while to send a letter asking for them to prove it or take it off to the people that the dealer sent my info to?
Is there a site where i can see an address to send these things to? I just have a list of people who have inquired.

Thanks again.

Message 8 of 10
Macchamps75
Regular Contributor

To The Top

Message 9 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

This thread is locked and under admin/mod review.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.