Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neighbor will call cops on me for "credit card fraud & identity theft"

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Neighbor will call cops on me for "credit card fraud & identity theft"

@WNA888 wrote:

My conclusion is that the neighbor/father is just a crazy, ignorant, and bigoted nutcase, who used his religion as a weapon to inflict pain and suffering on his child, and just spewing out stuff like he knows the law or something.  If anything, he's the one that's committing tax fraud by trying to claim the child, in addition to physically assulting a child, and worst of all, losing a great kid with a bright future.  /SMH

Right, but to my mind, that just makes him more dangerous!  Could he convince a buddy in the police to investigate, groundless or not?  I just can't say enough talk to a lawyer.  YOu will get better answers than reading websites or talking to the IRS (who are not bound by their own statements).   As one example, yes, they don't do a credit check on AUs, but in most cases the credit report is updated with a new account, which can impact the score.  Does that matter?  Probably not, but can some colorable action be made by a skillful lawyer?  Hopefully not, but only professionals can give the needed info.

Message 21 of 28
amakol
Regular Contributor

OP, the world is not a fair place. Things don't happen based on what is right or intentions - otherwise we wouldn't have a saying that no good deed goes unpunished. Like Blanche DuBois you are putting too much faith in the kindness (and fairness) of strangers. You sound like a nice guy, but remember that this guy you're dealing with is not and can come at you with full force to make your life miserable for a little bit even if you end up winning (best case) and especially if things don't go your way (worst case).

If I can tell you anything, it's that it is much better to take too many steps to protect yourself and not need them than to be caught unprepared. This will not end nearly as well as it could if that ends up being the case. Be proactive and secure yourself. It would be a big mistake to wait.

As for the rest, of which I don't know enough, good luck.

EQ 740 FICO, 4 INQ | EX 736 FICO, 5 INQ | TU 745 FICO, 5 INQ | CL $175K | AAOA 4 Years
Message 22 of 28
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Again, this is not the forum to address these issues.  You are asking for legal advice and no one on this forum can or will give you the definitive answers you seek.

it has been suggested to contact an attorney, if not to get your ducks in a row but so that legally you can be the child's guardian. For example, if the child was injured and taken to the hospital you cannot discuss, give consent or permission for his care. You cannot travel across state lines, you cannot give consent to even let them go on a school trip.

It boggles the mind that you are calling and asking the IRS and googling identity theft when a visit to a pro-bono attorney will quell the anxiety you must be going through.  Whether or not you will get a knock on the door, there are certain things you should know as an adult that you cannot do- you are not the legal guardian, parent or foster parent.

Take the advice that has been offered and seek legal counsel. 

Message 23 of 28
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

OP, even though I agree with others that you need to talk with a lawyer -- PRONTO -- I also want to thank you for doing such a kind and decent thing for this boy. He's lucky he had you to turn to when he got kicked out and even luckier you've been willing to make such a big, long-term commitment to him.

I hope this works out well for both you and him.

Message 24 of 28
enharu
Super Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

Again, this is not the forum to address these issues.  You are asking for legal advice and no one on this forum can or will give you the definitive answers you seek.

it has been suggested to contact an attorney, if not to get your ducks in a row but so that legally you can be the child's guardian. For example, if the child was injured and taken to the hospital you cannot discuss, give consent or permission for his care. You cannot travel across state lines, you cannot give consent to even let them go on a school trip.

It boggles the mind that you are calling and asking the IRS and googling identity theft when a visit to a pro-bono attorney will quell the anxiety you must be going through.  Whether or not you will get a knock on the door, there are certain things you should know as an adult that you cannot do- you are not the legal guardian, parent or foster parent.

+1. Lexie pretty much sums everything up nicely.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 25 of 28
MJ-san
Frequent Contributor

OP- please take the advice offered here and talk to a lawyer... both for your own protection and for the protection of the minor.

Also, there are MANY resources for at-risk GLBT youth (and their allies) in Texas - what city are you in? I am certain that between Human Rights Campaign or Gay/Lesbian Advocates & Defenders (national groups) or a local chapter of one of the groups (Out Youth in Dallas and Auston, Hatch Youth in Houston, Youth First Texas in Dallas, etc.) a good legal advocate who knows how to navigate this area can be found. 

Most kids who get kicked out in this kind of scenario end up on the streets and eventually become part of a very sad statistic. You are a hero for helping, now get some help to make sure you don't become a victim yourself.

Karma comes around, and I hope you get a serious bonus for what you've done.

(I know this isn't a credit issue per se, but I hope you do get some assistance!)

Message 26 of 28
SuperShad
Established Member

I agree that you should seek legal counsel.  However IMHO I doubt there's anything he can do about you adding the boy as an authorized user.  As long as you own and are responsible for the credit card account you can add whoever you want to.

Walmart FICO 643 Gardening as of 3/15/14!
March 2014 CreditXpert Ex 656, Eq 662, Tu 636 ~ August 2013 CreditXpert Ex 463, Eq 464, Tu 457
Message 27 of 28
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@09Lexie wrote:

+1.   I would certianly seek legal assistance.  You may want to get in contact with Lambda Legal for legal references.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.