Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payoff - Number of Accounts or 1-2 High Balance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Payoff - Number of Accounts or 1-2 High Balance

Sometimes the smart financial move isn't always the best for short-term fico scoring. Luckily for us utility is adjusted monthly and scores rebound immediately.

Pay off the higher APR first. Don't worry about your day to day FICO score if you are not in the middle of a applying for a mortgage or other major credit need.

You took control of the situation and will be in great shape!

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

scorerise, you are so right about the conflict between doing the "right thing" financially and practically and doing things to raise the credit score.  I've learned there are three ways to focus on this:

1) FICO - Paying off a closed, lower interest account to raise the score;

2) Financial - Paying off highest APR first;

3) Practical - Paying off smaller accounts first to eliminate minimum payments to improve cash flow;

Then, as I write this, Suze Orman comes on Good Morning America and says to only pay MINIMUM on credit cards until you SAVE an 8-month emergency fund!  She claims credit is so tight it's actually worth holding off until developing some savings! 

Message 12 of 13
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

scorerise, you are so right about the conflict between doing the "right thing" financially and practically and doing things to raise the credit score.  I've learned there are three ways to focus on this:

1) FICO - Paying off a closed, lower interest account to raise the score;

2) Financial - Paying off highest APR first;

3) Practical - Paying off smaller accounts first to eliminate minimum payments to improve cash flow;

Then, as I write this, Suze Orman comes on Good Morning America and says to only pay MINIMUM on credit cards until you SAVE an 8-month emergency fund!  She claims credit is so tight it's actually worth holding off until developing some savings! 

Liz Pulliam Weston disagrees with Suze's advice because it doesn't take into account the risk of credit card companies taking adverse actions such as raising rates and lowering credit limits in response.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.