Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please critique before I send to AGs and FTC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please critique before I send to AGs and FTC

This complaint is in regards to a collection agency, I.C. Systems and their client Potomac Valley Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation (aka Potomac Valley Orthopedic Associates).  I believe that my rights have been violated under HIPPA, FCRA, FDCPA and Maryland State Code/Regulations.

On September 12, 2006 I saw a collection account from IC Systems on my TransUnion and Experian Credit Reports.  I sent a Debt Validation Letter on September 13, 2007 via certified mail which was received by IC System on September 17, 2007.

Enclosed, please find a letter from IC System to PotomacValley dated September 18 in which L. Nelson of IC Systems states that I am refusing to pay the debt and asks PotomacValley to keep them informed if they wish to initiate court proceedings if the debt is not paid.  To my knowledge, requesting debt validation is a right I have under the FCRA.  I feel IC systems misrepresented the intention of my letter and also subtlety encouraged PV to pursue legal action before the debt was validated.

Enclosed you will find a copy of my validation letter and the documentation I received.  IC system never provided any legal reason for me to pay them – there is no contract showing that the debt was assigned to them.  For all I know L. Nelson and Ms. Coates may be relatives trying to make a few dollars on the side.  IC System also never provided proof of their license to do business in Maryland as requested, or the contact information for their registered agent.

Since only partially validating this debt IC system has added the collection to my Equifax report and has updated all three reports monthly to continuously damage my credit rating.  Although this may be legal, it is deceptive and is being used as a means of extortion to force me to pay this debt when they never properly validated.  The account was updated in October, November December, January and February on all three credit bureaus.

There is no itemization of 30% collection fees and who added them.  These are handwritten on the documents and if added by PotomacValley (who is not a collection agency) may be a violation of usury limit laws.

I also feel that my privacy rights under HIPPA and Maryland state code were violated when the only document Ms Coates could send that contained a signature was my intake sheet showing why I was being treated.

I should have never been put thru a regime of physical therapy for ‘joint pain due to arthritis’ when I had been diagnosed with Hypothyroidism the previous month. Hypothyroidism has known symptoms of ‘joint pain’.  Dr McMahon was aware of this diagnosis and I feel the regime of physical therapy was prescribed solely to enhance the bottom line of the medical practice. Since my thyroid condition has been stabilized, the pain I experienced at the time is nonexistent. This matter I will pursue with my insurance company at the time and the Maryland Consumer Protection Agency.

Any assistance that you may provide in resolving this matter is greatly appreciated. 

Message Edited by Lady_Scarlet on 02-28-2008 08:57 PM
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ChemGuy
Frequent Contributor

Re: Please critique before I send to AGs and FTC

Letter is fine until the end.  You can't ask the AG to officiate over whether a health care provider applied malpractice in your case; that is for a judge and is not the focus of your claim.  I also think it invalidates your claim:  saying that you acknowledge owing the account but dispute it because you should not have been provided  a particular medical service does NOT prove that you were improperly identified as the debtor; rather, you are identifying yourself as the debtor.  I believe you are not doing yourself a service by adding the last paragraph
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

All right, that paragraph comes out and will be used only in the complaint to the insurance company.

Thanks!
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Without the last paragraph........I say........Go get 'em tiger!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.