Regular Contributor
MsRN2000

Questions Re: asking a CC company to lower interest rate / remove annual fee

Hello :smileyhappy: 
Can anyone help?  I am seeking suggestions on how to manage this issue.  I have an HSBC CC with an annual fee that I've had for 11 months.  I have requested a credit limit increas once (3 months after receiving the card) and was denied.  The next week someone phoned me from the company asking about the service and I told them that I was not happy with it. Well, I was granted a $250. increase at that time without reviewing my credit report. So, today I phoned and asked if I could have the interest rate decreased and / or the annual fee terminated.  HSBC told me no and that it could not be done.  I know that these things can be done and I am seeking advice on how to go about doing this.  Would a letter be the answer?  I am concerned with keeping this card b/c it is the oldest revolving account that I have.

My FICO Scores now range from 670 - 735 which is a totally different issue from when I initially received the card.

Thanks
Moderator Emeritus
Timothy

Re: Questions Re: asking a CC company to lower interest rate / remove annual fee

Someone may sugest to open a new card (higher limit and lower APR) with them and then try to combine getting the old history.  It would cost an INQ and a few phone calls.

Regular Contributor
MsRN2000

Re: Questions Re: asking a CC company to lower interest rate / remove annual fee

...So, I can do that?  Just call and request another card with HSBC and let them know of the old card and ask if I could keep the origin date of the 1st card - Is it possible that they'd do a soft pull on my report? (I have 3 inq already for the last 12 mo). I didn't know that a bank would do a hard inq when opening a savings accout.

If so, I'll definitely try. I'd like to get away from the annual fee (and the high APR) but, I make every effort to pay the card out each month.

Thank you
Regular Contributor
MsRN2000

Hey,

Sorry to be such a pest.  But, in the following link it says that HSBC does system inq only.  Does that mean that requesting another card through them would not show up as a hard inquiry?

Moderator Emeritus
Timothy

HSBC in my experiance will pull a HARD INQ anytime they offer new credit.

MsRN2000 wrote:
Hey,

Sorry to be such a pest.  But, in the following link it says that HSBC does system inq only.  Does that mean that requesting another card through them would not show up as a hard inquiry?

Moderator Emeritus
Timothy

I wouldn't call- Get the card approved online and then call.
If you don't get the results you want cancel it.

They will do a hard pull if you do it online or on the phone.

MsRN2000 wrote:
...So, I can do that?  Just call and request another card with HSBC and let them know of the old card and ask if I could keep the origin date of the 1st card - Is it possible that they'd do a soft pull on my report? (I have 3 inq already for the last 12 mo). I didn't know that a bank would do a hard inq when opening a savings accout.

If so, I'll definitely try. I'd like to get away from the annual fee (and the high APR) but, I make every effort to pay the card out each month.

Thank you

Regular Contributor
MsRN2000

Okay.  Thanks for all your help Timothy.  :smileyhappy:

Senior Contributor
Noah_Bodie

MsRN2000 wrote:
I have an HSBC CC with an annual fee that I've had for 11 months.
today I phoned and asked if I could have the interest rate decreased and / or the annual fee terminated.  HSBC told me no and that it could not be done.
My FICO Scores now range from 670 - 735

The HSBC Platinum MCs have no annual fee and with your scores you should qualify. Try asking for a conversion.

Regular Contributor
MsRN2000

Should I apply online first and after being approved ask for a conversion?

And, (??) this still results in a hard pull right
Senior Contributor
Noah_Bodie

MsRN2000 wrote:
Should I apply online first and after being approved ask for a conversion?

And, (??) this still results in a hard pull right

Don't apply online for a new CC. Call and ask for a conversion. If they give you the conversion, you'll keep the age of the existing CC (which you want) and lose the annual fee (also a good thing).

If they won't do it, you might try to "softly" lean on them. Are you currently carrying a balance?

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+