cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surpassing 720 credit score....Need some advice!!!

tag
720andBeyond
Valued Member

Surpassing 720 credit score....Need some advice!!!

I would like some advice on what I need to do next to help boost my score in the next two years. Here is the situation.

Current Scores from Wal-mart and MyFico are:

TransUnion-682 (Wal-Mart score)

Equifax-688 (MyFico)

I filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy exactly 2.5 years ago on 1/2011 due to medical expenses. It was granted on 4/2011, so I have been out of bankruptcy about 2 years and 2 months now. I have pulled all my reports and I have 3 collections reporting. They range from being last reported in 4/2007 to 11/2010. No goodwill letters accepted so that is not looking like an option.

My current profile Score Watch Profile states that the positive I have are not missing a payment in 5 years and 1 month and my ratio on revolving accounts is less than 1%.

My negatives on Score Watch Profile list as 5 accounts were once 60 days or more late dating back to 2007 up until 2010. A bankruptcy on file. A total of three collections. My oldest account was opened only 10 years and 11 months ago. My average age of accounts is only 4 years. My last collection was 2 years and 9 months ago. 

My current salary is around $30K and I have 5 credit cards currently with no balances reporting. I have always tried to limit each card to no more than 3% of the card limit to try and boost my score. It has been over a year since I have applied for any card. I have applied for no new loans since bankruptcy either.

My cards with limits are as follows :

Capital One Platinum-$750>>>>>>After I wrote this I PC'd for the QuickSilver One and got it with a CLI!!!! Now---QuickSilver One-$1250

Capital One Rewards-$750>>>>>>After I wrote this and recieved the QuickSilver One I asked for this CLI and got it!!!!! Now---Same Rewards Card-$1250

HSBC Orchard Bank-$300

Wal-Mart Credit Card GEMB-$1400

Lowe's Credit Card GEMB- $4000

My current student loan debt is $52K and I am working towards student loan forgiveness at 10 years on the IBR program. My current monthly payment is only $144 and I have no interest in paying more than I have to.

I started out with a score of 571 after Chapter 7 bankruptcy and feel that I am doing pretty decent for 2.5 years post bankruptcy, but there is always room for improvement. I have been stuck in the 680's for about 4 months now and it is becoming rather frustrating.  

My questions are as follows:

1) Are my credit cards and the limits on my cards decent for my income and being post bankruptcy 2 years and 2 months?

2) I have been credit gardening for over a year at this point with the cards that I currently have. Should I look for other cards and if so which cards would be a good fit for my credit profile and income?

3) Is my score typical of a post bankruptcy score of 2 years and 2 months? All things being relative do you think I am ahead of the curve, behind the curve, or just average?

4) Where should I go from here? Vague I know, but serious all the same?

I would appreciate honest and serious insight as I would really like to look into a mortgage, car loan, and a prime credit card in the next 2 to 5 years if possible. Nothing that would break the bank, but just normal life expenses. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
720andBeyond
Valued Member

Re: Surpassing 720 credit score....Need some advice!!!

Increase success!!!

Okay today I made a post about the credit gardening that I had been doing for over a year now. I am 2 years and 2 months out of chapter 7 bankruptcy. I contacted Capital One about their new QuickSilver card. The online CSR told me that I had the option to upgrade my 1.5 year old Capital One Platinum card with a $750 balance for the QuickSilver One card for average credit. He also told me that both my Capital One Rewards card and my new QuickSilver One card would be available for CLI's. 

I was stunned lol. I said lets upgrade everything and so we went. Capital One gave me the Quicksilver One card with 19.8%(bad, but better than the 24.8% the Platinum card had) and they waived the $39 dollar fee. Again I was stunned, in a good way of course.

Next I applied for credit limit increases on both cards. I was awarded CLI's on BOTH cards!!!! I have only had one for a year and a half and the other for a year and two months. My new limits both increased $500 from $750 to $1250!!! I know it is not that much but I am very happy considering that many people seem stuck at $750 for EVER....which is horrible.

Message 2 of 5
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your increases.

Your scores will increase as your baddies age. The increases will help total overall utilization. Keep it under 10% to see a steady increase in scores.

Also GE is great in granting CLI so if you didnt get an increase in 3 to 4 months then call them up Smiley Happy

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 3 of 5
720andBeyond
Valued Member

Thank you for your insight!

Would you say that my scores are about as good as they can be given the circumstances of what I explained? Do you think I could get a house loan given the scores in my description?

Also I have been using the GE luv button every 4 months or so. My Lowe's and Walmart cards were only $300 dollars when I started out lol. 

Message 4 of 5
JonStur
Established Contributor

At this point you are doing all that you can.. Nothing but time can heal your wounds at this point. As your baddies age your score will rise. In  terms of a house, I imagine someone will work with you, you won't get the best rates, but in the future when your credit improves you can always refinance.

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.