Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Credit Bored Game

tag
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

The Credit Bored Game

Has anyone ever worked really hard to get their scores up to 800's, and once you reach score excellency, you become extremely bored? It was fun during the build and enhancement phases, but now it is boring.  I guess that is why some folks do random app sprees. I can't see doing that, but . . . OMG! So bored! Bored! Bored! Boooorrred! Smiley Frustrated  All I do now is read the happiness of others in their threads as they make progress--remembering when I had that same happy feeling.

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The Credit Bored Game

I can see myself getting really close to 800 2-3 years from now and feeling like "Wat the f do i do now..."

ill probably use my credit to get something rare at that point. Treat myself to a ritz or something for a year or two and cancel. 

Message 2 of 8
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

Well I'm glad you understand how I'm feeling MrDre. Maybe I should treat myself to something.

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 3 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I suspect for most people it tracks like anything else in life; if you stop getting measurable progress, you lose track and / or you lose interest.

My score flatlines for months at a time (like 6+) and short of doing something really dumb there's nothing I can really do to make it go up or down appreciably and I'm pretty much stuck until 11/2017 on that.  Overarching goal was to obtain a mortgage: I'm going through the process now.  A minor goal was I wanted to hit a 700 on my Beacon 5.0 (been my goal score for 2 years now) and finally got it.

I noticed my participation in the forum has upticked substantially after I started going through this mortgage process.  There's dead time involved and this keeps me feeling engaged and somewhat productive in learning more about the process and other people's experiences.  I'm bored at the moment, I'll admit it Smiley Happy.  Holding pattern on credit building, and now a holding pattern in mortgage processing... nobody is due anything from me currently, and now it's just processing by others.

After that's sorted, and after I go through with the planned app spree (most people dont' spree because they're bored from what I've seen over time) I will probably get more focused on other hobbies in life than this forum.  Stepped down from a moderator role here because I wasn't really paying attention or engaged, and that will likely come back I have a suspicion.

        
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could trash your scores and start over.

Message 5 of 8
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

You could trash your scores and start over.

LMAO...I just did that - I added $16k in expenses 2 months ago and have about another 4 months (or at least 2) before I finish paying it off Smiley Embarassed

Watched my scores dive a bit, but oddly I have received 3 automatic CLI's on various cards this month...just a surprise when I went online to pay down the debt Smiley Surprised

Message 6 of 8
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

I'll admin I don't have a clue why some people app for what they app for.   However, once you get a solid credit score, you can use it to earn CC sign up bonuses.  A $100-$400 bonus every quarter or the occasional free flight adds up over time.  

Message 7 of 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

I don't get comments like this on any topic.  I don't derive excitement solely from credit or any one thing.  There's plenty in life to keep me interested.  If you're bored with X then X isn't the source of your problem.

That said, there are certainly plenty that are in the same boat as you.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=bored%20site%3A...

Not much you can do other than adjust your expectations.  Excitement from credit building isn't infinitely sustainable and given how slow it takes to build credit I wouldn't recommend relying on it to relieve your boredom.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.