cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will it make a difference? (Financing a car)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will it make a difference? (Financing a car)

The last time I had financed a car was 9 years ago and it is not showing on my Equifax, but only on TU and Experian reports.  In between now and then, I had purchased cars 100% cash, used.  I'm considering buying a home in a couple of years, and it is reinforcing my desire to have a newish car financed, so I can have a healthy mix of credit types on record as paid in full / current when that time comes.   I have zero derogs and always on time for all lines of credit.  

When I requested my TU and Equifax today, it was reflecting around 46% utilization of my available credit (split in 3 major credit cards).  With recent payments I had made on my cards, I should be around 35% utilization and I imagine my score should be a touch higher.

Will it make much of a difference in the financing terms my lender will provide me if I were to have an average score of ~735 as opposed to say, a 760+ (as a result of lowering utilization to 15%) at the time of requesting a loan?  I intend to apply for a 48 month auto loan and pay it off in 24 or less.  I understand my score will drop after getting the loan-- once the auto is paid off, will the ending score and my financial reputation be higher/stronger than before?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Will it make a difference? (Financing a car)

Thread is locked! A discussion is already taking place on this topic in the link below.

Will It Make A Difference

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.