Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit karma scores vs credit check total

tag
scorepower
Regular Contributor

credit karma scores vs credit check total

Hello,

I've always tracked my score through credit karma which sows my score at 567.  Today i checked credit check total and my scores are:

TU- 633

Experian-651

Equifax-629

Credit chekc is showing it as FICO score 8. I guess my quesiton is are these real FICO scores that lenders pull? I want to have a baseline and wondering if these are accurate so i can use this as a baseline for my repair journey. 

Thanks

1/16/16 Credit Check Total FICO 08 Scores: TU 633, EX 651, EQ 629
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
elim
Senior Contributor

Re: credit karma scores vs credit check total

Credit Karma is Vantage 3 which is rarely used by lenders.

CCT is Fico 8 which is the score most lenders pull for CC app's. It is also the most used by posters to track scores here and is the score myFICO uses in their monitoring products.

Message 2 of 5
scorepower
Regular Contributor

Great, thanks. This would explain why capital one has been so generous with giving me credit cards with decent credit limits.  

1/16/16 Credit Check Total FICO 08 Scores: TU 633, EX 651, EQ 629
Message 3 of 5
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@scorepower wrote:

Credit chekc is showing it as FICO score 8. I guess my quesiton is are these real FICO scores that lenders pull? I want to have a baseline and wondering if these are accurate so i can use this as a baseline for my repair journey. 

A FICO is a FICO.  A score cannot be called a FICO if it is not acutally a FICO.  FICO is a registered trademark of the Fair Isaac Corporation and FICO scores are their products.  However, not all FICO models are equivalent.  A FICO 8 is a FICO 8 regardless of source.  A FICO 8 is not the same thing as a FICO 4, FICO NextGen or even FICO 8 Bankcard, for example.

All scores, whether FICO or FAKO, are accurate but only for their own model.  You cannot use a score generated by one model to determine a score generated by another model.  FICO 8 is the most commonly used FICO model but not all creditors use FICO 8.  See also the Understanding FICO Scoring subforum and its stickies for info on the various FICO models used by creditors.  If you want to know what number a creditor will pull for you then you need to know the model and CRA used by the creditor and then go and pull that specific score, if possible.

You can use any model you want to monitor progress but you should really learn to assess your own report data versus relying on specific numbers.  To repair your credit you'll need to be able to identify and address deficiencies anyway.

@scorepower wrote:

This would explain why capital one has been so generous with giving me credit cards with decent credit limits.  

It's not about generosity.  It's about risk assessment.  You credit profile and income determine the limits, etc that you qualify for.  Some creditors have more lax approval criteria than others but that's not generosity.

It's also never just about score.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another thing too is to remember on top of what others have said that even some companies have their own way of calculating scores. For instance I went to go to apply for a Amazon or Walmart a few months ago because I finally got stable over 620, only for them to show me the score they had for me was like 560.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.