Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Re-finance

tag
dallasjetfan
Established Contributor

Auto Re-finance

I have an auto loan with Capital One at 13.75% for 72 months. This was just two days after my BK had been discharged. I have my scores in the mid 600's now (490 at the time of loan). I have received 3 re-finance pre-approvals from HSBC, CitiFinancial and Wachovia. They are around 8.75%-9.99%. I have paid 18 payments so I have 54 left. The payments are not a problem and I will probably start paying an extra $1000/month to pay-off early. How should I approach this opportunity? Should I call or apply on-line? Is it worth it? How will this affect my credit score? Thanks!!
Barclays US Air $17K| TTCU $15K| Citi Diamond $10.5K| Discover IT $9000| CapOne $2K| Best Buy $2K
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Auto Re-finance

I would refi. You shouldn't be paying double-digit rates with your scores. Just make sure that your refi terms do not stretch the loan out further. For example, you have 54 months left to pay.. Get a 48 month loan on the refi and not a 60 or 72. Also try a local CU. A CU can almost always beat a bank's rate.

Message 2 of 18
dallasjetfan
Established Contributor

Wachovia or CitiFinancial? Is one better than the other?
Barclays US Air $17K| TTCU $15K| Citi Diamond $10.5K| Discover IT $9000| CapOne $2K| Best Buy $2K
Message 3 of 18
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

wachovia is better
Message 4 of 18
dallasjetfan
Established Contributor

They took my application at Wachovia and offered me a rate of 11.89 down from 13.75%. I have an application in with CitiFinancial too. We'll see! I thought it would be a lot better than that.
Message 5 of 18
dallasjetfan
Established Contributor

I just got approved by CitiFinancial at 9.99%. That is much better! I think I should try at a credit union and see what they say.
Message 6 of 18
dallasjetfan
Established Contributor

Also, how does a refi help or hurt your credit scores? Thanks!!
Message 7 of 18
dallasjetfan
Established Contributor

Anyone??
Message 8 of 18
dallasjetfan
Established Contributor

Also, how does a refi help or hurt your credit scores? Thanks!!
Message 9 of 18
dallasjetfan
Established Contributor

Does anyone know how a refi will affect credit scores??
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.