Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time home buyer. FHA approval chances

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First time home buyer. FHA approval chances

Hi everyone. Been a myfico.com member for a long time, but I never even knew these forums were here until I started researching homebuying. A little background would help I guess. I used to be terrible with money. There was a point 6 or 7 years ago when my scores were down in the high 4 to low 500 range. I got serious about learning financial responsibility and my scores now are 710 715 and 704. My middle mortgage score is a 704. One 30 day late payment 14 months ago is my only negative within the past 5 years. No collections open or closed.

I have applied for a FHA mortgage for 130,000 and locked in a 3.75% rate. Looking through my paperwork i saw something about a total scorecard which I would assume is the automatic underwriting. OT all came back approved. My base salary is 60,000 which is what I applied with. My monthly debt before any potential mortgage is 800. No credit card debt. I work an average of about 200 hours of overtime a year which is about 9,000 extra income, but I didn't include it in my application for some reason. I would hope if I passed AUS with my base income then all income verification would be stronger based on the extra income reflected on my tax returns and paystubs. I wanted to keep my DTI below 30%, but it looks like it will be closer to 35% when the taxes and insurance are added to my mortgage payment.

I really think I'm worried over nothing, but I've never been throught this process. Do any of you think I would have a problem with getting this loan closed? Closing date is October 8th.
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First time home buyer. FHA approval chances

I'm in FHA UW right now so while I can relate to the fear and stress, I can't speak from the experience of closing quite yet.  From everything you put in, you're looking great!  I don't see any reason this won't go through!  My DTI will be 41% and my LO said that's a great range to be in so if you're between 30-35%, that's fantastic!  Good luck with everything!!

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I feel pretty good about it, but I am quite stressed out with the whole process.
Message 3 of 12
youngcreditcarduser
Established Member

3.75%? Wow! That's a great rate for FHA, is that 30 or 15 years if you mind me asking?

FICO Score: 792
Cards: AMEX Platinum, Citi Forward, Amazon Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards Preffered, Discover IT
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

30 year fixed. Im very happy with the rate.
Message 5 of 12
edcampbell613
Contributor

Your credit sounds fine, why not get a conventional mtg.

Rates are about 3.99 and PMI will eventually drop off, not like FHA

FHA dropped to 3.75 this week for new construction and a 3.875 for previously owned.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I looked into conventional, but it just didn't make sense to me. My initial payment would be higher until I could drop PMI, and that would probably come around the time we look to move. I figure this is a house we will probably be in for 7 or 8 years. Conventional 97 was the only real option and after looking at both FHA just made more sense for us.
Message 7 of 12
edcampbell613
Contributor

I ran the numbers for the conv 97 with LPMI and the payment is less, also you dont have to roll in the MIP for the FHA loan having more equity at the end of the 7-8 years

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Really? The numbers I ran showed conventional 97 being higher. I will have to recheck that.
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll ask my LO about it edcampbell. I still get higher figures on a conventional 97 due to the MIP being double the FHA amount.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.