Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heed my warning new homeowners!

tag
SuzyStellar
Contributor

Heed my warning new homeowners!

It has been a few months since I've been on here.  Boy O Boy what a wonderfully crazy time my family and I have had in these months. 

I have to tell you all please be very careful with your credit, especially right around the time of buying a home.  I didn't want to listen to anyone, and at this point I wish I had.  You see I cleaned our credit, till it was spic and span gleaming, because I wanted a house in the worst possible way.  I would cry myself to sleep over the houses I couldn't have for my family, and the house I was making us live in because we had no options. 

So after it was all cleaned up, tons of time and effort.  I am talking weeks of sitting here making letters, phone calls to creditors, and learning every possible thing I could to get us to where we needed to be.

I got us there, and I still pat myself on the back for every second it took.  I did a great job! Smiley Happy

Anyway, after we got the approval to go ahead and look at houses and we bought one, I thought ok I need this this and this....NO!!!!

Don't do it to yourself!

I hit our credit with at least 30 hard inquiries, 13 new lines of credit, and a new auto loan for a car that should maybe have been buried long ago.

There went our perfect scores. 

I mean ok, as long as I keep everything down, and don't go nuts spending right, we should be ok...NO!!!!

When you buy a house and have a bunch of new credit cards, guess what you are going to spend spend spend.

I maxed everything out, and then we got hit by a hurricane, and we couldn't work for a week!  It hit us really hard, and I missed payments.  It almost got to the point where I was nearly saying I don't care, I am not paying them, my family needs to eat and I just almost lost my mind.

Thank God for income tax refunds.  I was thinking I would have to wait until at least the end of February, but it came on Saturday Smiley Happy

I paid all of those nasty little cards off ...well almost, I left a small balance on some.

But, our home the thing I pined for, for years wasn't being paid in full for nearly 2 months.  I got that all paid up to date as well. 

Now I sit here and think about the conversations I had not even a year ago with people about ohhh I am not that stupid, I won't get us in trouble with CC's.  I also think about the wonderful vacation my family could be planning right now...but can't cause Mommy made a BooBoo.  Ahhh maybe next year.

Those cards will sit in the drawer until I am more mature. 

I just thought it might be useful for some of you to understand, the dream of a home when it comes true is amazing.  Don't let your wants override you.  <3 Love and best wishes to you all.  Sorry it's late, I hope this made sense.  Smiley Happy  See you in a few months Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Re: Heed my warning new homeowners!

Crap happens, and we have to dig ourselves back out.

I never get tax refunds, all part of the master plan.

Message 2 of 12
OilFieldEngineer
Contributor

Great advice. Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I would like to say I didn't plan on buying a whole bunch of stuff after closing but I would be lying however I am paying cash for most of it and just financing the extra appliances on a homedepot or best buy account (opening new). But I did pay off all my revolving accounts right before applying the mortgage. Hope that you can get the money saved and take your family on an even better vacation next summer. 

Current Scores 738 EQ (FICO 02/15) 745 EX (Lender Pull FICO) 768 TU (FICO 02/15)

4% Utilization on 180k Total Available Creditlines

AMEX Platinum - NPSL, AMEX HH - 2.5k, BofA Travel Rewards - 25K, BofA 123 Cash Rewards - 15K, BofA Amex - 15K, Barclay Black Card - 10K, Chase United Club - 9.6K, Chase Sapphire Preferred - 14k, Discover More - 7.5K, Citi Presitge - 20K, Nationwide Bank - 7.5K, Dillard's - 5K, JCP MasterCard - 12K, Capital One Venture - 3K, Capital One Quicksilver - 10k, Wells Fargo - 6K, Lowe's - 10K,
Message 3 of 12
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

My wife and I vowed that we would not use credit cards to purchase anything new for the house. If we can't but it cash, then we won't buy it until we have the cash. We've been dealing in cash for a long time since we didn't have any credit cards with any worthwhile credit limits.

The hardest ones to resist are the store cards that give you 2-3 years no interest type off deals, so hard to resist those!

Message 4 of 12
Uppingmyscore
Established Contributor

Great advice.  I am mostly paying with cash, but there are a few things we will use the credit cards for.  Praying they approve this loan soon, before I go crazy. 

My Wallet: Amex Express BCE $27,000, Amex Express Blue Sky $6,000, Delta SkyMiles $10,000, Discover $14,000, Chase Freedom $23,500, Capital One $8,000, SAMS $10,000, and LOWES $10,000
Message 5 of 12
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Great post, excellent advice.

Congrats on all your hard work to get yourself and family to this point.

Now get focused as you plan and get back on track. Every one here is available when you need to vent.

Good luck .. You know you can do it.
Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have closed on my home and did some work on it last weekend. I plan to move within the next week or two. I have promised myself I will not use credit for anything. To save money I am leaning on friends who owe me favors and I will rent a uhaul for the actual move. No new furniture, nothing...unless I can pay in cash. Also, I am not going to dip into my emergency fund money for anything new. If I can't pay for it....it can wait. The house has almost new appliances but I realize things can go wrong. Hot water heaters can go out, heat/air units can go out, etc. As a home owner we have to be prepared for the unexpected and hopefully, I will be. I've worked too long and too hard to dig myself out of that hole to dig myself back in on frivolous things, however I can certainly understand the temptation to do so. In fact, in my younger years I did exactly the same thing. I didn't get into any holes back then (times were good)  but in retrospect  I certainly paid far too much for items that were sometimes already worn out or out of style by the time I actually got them paid for.  When I started lurking on these pages a couple of years ago my credit was dismal at best. Using the great advice I found on these pages I built my credit back up to the point I could actually become a home owner again. Never again will I dig myself into that hole. My next goal is to continue building my savings. I want to be a happy, secure home owner. Security and peace of mind mean so much more to me than things. I'm not judging you. As I said, when I was younger I did the same things, except I didn't get behind on payments at that time. It was years later when the economy tanked and my marriage failed at the same time that I got into trouble. This time,  I bought a very modest little home and I plan on living a modest little life but I will have the peace of mind I've longed for. I'm glad to hear you came back to earth and straightened things up before they got too out of hand. I'm also glad you were brave enough to post this. We all learn from each other. Kudo's to you!

Message 7 of 12
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Good Job! I'm glad you were able to get it under control before it was too late. There are so many that don't get a second chance but you did, which means your home is meant to be. Smiley Happy

For us, it is going to be interesting as we do need (not want) a lot of new stuff for the home. My son's bed and our sofas are toast...had them since 2005, almost 10 years. But not on credit to pay over time, no. We will have a good amount of reserves at closing and my yearly bonus will be here in a month. So we plan to use our cards to hold some things until right before the statement cuts and PIF. I have a huge spreadsheet task ahead of me for this as it falls out of the normal realm of my spending habits. I have never spent as much as I will be spending a little later this month in my life. But it was all part of the master plan so that we wouldn't have to sit in another beautiful empty house. There are some things I really want like more new artwork but I know that will take time.

It can be tempting especially when you know you don't have a mortgage payment for a month or two. But honestly, I have truly been there with credit cards and now only use them for everyday expenses to reap rewards. It can be a slippery slope if not careful. I have no store cards. I always say no to the discount at checkout.

Wishing you all the best in your new home and as others said, the fire won't last forever and soon enough you will be on a secluded beach with your family! :-)
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 8 of 12
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

We get a Christmas Bonus every year that is very large. And I stuck it all in savings, and I bet some of it will be used when we close on the new home for things we need. And then we will wait on others things till next Christmas.

Message 9 of 12
Startfromwithin
Contributor

Hello SuzyStellar!

Thank you so much for this post. Though I am in the very early stages of buying my home, I expect to have my new address within a couple months.

I am not married, and do not have children... yet. I sometimes think to myself 'if I am going to furnish my new property, I might as well do it now when I do not have dependents'. Then, I snap out of it and think, 'if I am going to stack some cash, now is the time to do it now that I do not have dependents'.

I know that I will be tempted to dive into using credit cards to furnish my new property. I decided to give myself a strict limit. Wish me luck in defeating my temptations!!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.