Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homeowner's policy shopping?

tag
sr383
Regular Contributor

Homeowner's policy shopping?

I tried to get a quote on a homeowner's policy, and the agency posted an alert that credit information is used in setting rates (do you still want to submit your information?). I was immediately concerned because my lender has been adamant amount not seeking new credit, and I don't want him to question this sudden, new inquiry on my report.

1. Do insurance inquiries show up like credit inquiries?

2. Are lenders savvy enough to tell the difference?

It certainly makes sense to me that I'd go ahead and find an insurance before the first premium is due, rather than waiting until after i close. ...

Costco TrueEarningsSallie Mae MasterCardDiscover itUS Bank Cash+Chase SlateBlue Cash EverydayFidelity VisaTU-803/EQ-808/EX-800
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Lemontwist4
Frequent Contributor

Re: Homeowner's policy shopping?

I had the same concerns and asked my loan officer and she said that shopping for home owners insurance was okay if it shows on the credit report because you have to have it before you close. 

Sent to USDA on August 14th 2013 Approved September 5th CLOSED September 9th!!!!!
Message 2 of 6
Amythyst
Contributor

They should only be soft pulls.

Message 3 of 6
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

What is frowned upon are inquiries that result in a new line of credit such as a new credit card or a new car loan.  Inquiries for insurance will probably be soft pulls - even if it shows up as a hard pull, the LO will see that.  Insurance is required before closing.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 4 of 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@kimmiller112 wrote:

What is frowned upon are inquiries that result in a new line of credit such as a new credit card or a new car loan.  Inquiries for insurance will probably be soft pulls - even if it shows up as a hard pull, the LO will see that.  Insurance is required before closing.

+1.  Insurance inquiries ( home, auto ) are almost always soft pulls.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 6
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@sr383 wrote:

I tried to get a quote on a homeowner's policy, and the agency posted an alert that credit information is used in setting rates (do you still want to submit your information?). I was immediately concerned because my lender has been adamant amount not seeking new credit, and I don't want him to question this sudden, new inquiry on my report.

1. Do insurance inquiries show up like credit inquiries?

2. Are lenders savvy enough to tell the difference?

It certainly makes sense to me that I'd go ahead and find an insurance before the first premium is due, rather than waiting until after i close. ...

1. no

2. we dont see them

Retired Lender
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.