Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I insure this home?

tag
sekada
Regular Contributor

How do I insure this home?

I'm buying a second home in a neighboring state and will use it partly as a vacation home, but my retired mom will also live there.  I pay for everything of hers and she's my legal dependent; therefore, I'll be paying for the insurance as well.  It's a condo, so I only need the "interior" insurance -- agents I've talked to are giving me different answers as to how to insure.  I could declare myself my mother's landlord, but then her belongings (which are actually my belongings) would not be insured.  She has no credit history, since she's lived with me and I've paid the bills for 10+ years, so I have no idea how to get renter's insurance -- I mean it seems stupid for me to get renter's insurance to cover my own belongings, while also separately paying for homeowner's insurance.  But if they do a credit check on my mom, I don't know if they'll even insure her, or how much it will cost.  Thoughts??

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Beasley12
Regular Contributor

Re: How do I insure this home?

Shouldnt your homeowners insurance cover the interior since it is your house? Just asking. I know more about renters insurance....been having it for years. It covers interior items, loss of use, and it pays for damage to the property (all to a certain point). Never had homeowners insurance but I assumed they both covered the same....only difference is the payee.
EQ FICO 564 (3/12) Lender pull 673 (4/12) FICO 703 (6/13)
TU FICO 605 (6/12) to FICO 687 (3/13) Lender pull 680 (4/13)
EXP FICO lender pull (4/13) 651
Homeowner since September 2013!
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.