cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NSF Fee after Approval?! Are you kidding me!

tag
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

NSF Fee after Approval?! Are you kidding me!

I swear to god I'm going to have a heart attack going through this mortgage process, no joke. Smiley Mad

Due to the bank's fault, the earnest deposit check I wrote to the builder bounced and caused an NSF fee on my account, and I was just approved in underwriting yesterday! I called the bank this morning furious and spent over an hour and a half on the phone with a manager who reversed the NSF fee and said the check to the builder will still go through plus they are writing a letter stating the NSF wasn't my fault, but they claim they can't delete the NSF actually showing on the bank statement (which the underwriter still needs to see to show the cleared earnest deposit). 

I seriously cannot believe this is happening. I had no fault in it at all, the bank is apologizing up and down, but I am still now going to have to explain it and go back into Underwriting so they can review it again. Unbelievable!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Re: NSF Fee after Approval?! Are you kidding me!

Are they gonna check every month when you go back into underwriting or just the last 60 days. If your home is done in the summer and they check 60 days, they wont see it.

Message 2 of 12
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

@tooleman694 wrote:

Are they gonna check every month when you go back into underwriting or just the last 60 days. If your home is done in the summer and they check 60 days, they wont see it.

Because we are making monthly earnest deposits, the loan processor verbally said we need to submit monthly statements showing the deposts cleared.

Message 3 of 12
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

I would call up the processor and run it by them.

Message 4 of 12
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

I would ask the bank to write an apology letter for the NSF and give that to the UW with your next required bank statement. Makes sure that the bank writes in the letter that is was their fault for whatever reason and have them include also that they couldn't reverse or delete the NSF record on your bank statement for whatever reason. Make sure the letter is signed and dated by the bank manager and you should be fine.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 5 of 12
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

@tooleman694 wrote:

I would call up the processor and run it by them.

Yeah, I'm like besides myself on what to do, and there is really nothing I can do. I just can't believe it happened...of all the things that could happen, now the bank screws up?

What's crappy is that it brings up the issue of that judgment/bank hold I had going on. Basically what happened was that I had a hold placed on funds in my account due to a judgment and today, the funds were paid to the creditor (which is fine, I expected that) but the bank did not release the hold like they were supposed to! Well my account didn't have enough to cover both the funds paid out AND the amount on hold AND the earnest deposit check. I had budgeted for the funds held + the deposit check (say $2000 held + $1000 deposit check, so I had a total of $3500 in the account to leave a little room for something unaccounted for) but they paid out $2000, also held $2000, which means I would of needed to have $5500 in the bank. Smiley Sad 

Message 6 of 12
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

If thats the case, then you are probably ok. It is all logical.

Message 7 of 12
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

@tooleman694 wrote:

If thats the case, then you are probably ok. It is all logical.

It probably will be ok, and I'm hoping, but it just sucks that again I have to submit things, have them to to underwriting, stress and check on it everyday.

Of course the bank is not actually saying it's their fault, but they are saying it's not my fault either, if that makes any sense. They are saying that this is their policy, that when funds are on hold and they get the motion from the court to pay out, they debit the account and then they cut a check the next day, and once that check is cut, then they release the hold so basically you are out double the amount that was on hold for a couple of days. That's all fine and well, but when did they ever let me know this information? If they would have let me know, I could have easily had more money in the account to cover for that.

Message 8 of 12
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

Some good news on this, I talked to my bank's branch manager who reviewed what happened and he said it was a bank error. He wrote up a letter that explains that the funds were in the account and the returned check was due to a bank error. Definitely settles my nerves. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 12
lindae
New Visitor

Hi!  What was your outcome on final approval?

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.