cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New job opportunity- will this ruin my mortgage chances?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New job opportunity- will this ruin my mortgage chances?

I was offered a position today at a new company, and it's a position I can't turn down. The company rarely has openings, and is offering a huge increase in salary compared to my current position (almost 50% more). I'm in the middle of a mortgage process right now and am wondering if accepting this new position will make me no longer qualify. It's a new construction home and we haven't gone through underwriting yet. The good news is my Dti will be significantly lower with the new salary. But will the mortgage lenders approve my application with such a recent job change? It's in the same general field, Im a w2 employee right now and still will be with the new company. Any thoughts?
4 REPLIES 4
iv
Valued Contributor

Re: New job opportunity- will this ruin my mortgage chances?

@Anonymous wrote:
I was offered a position today at a new company, and it's a position I can't turn down. The company rarely has openings, and is offering a huge increase in salary compared to my current position (almost 50% more). I'm in the middle of a mortgage process right now and am wondering if accepting this new position will make me no longer qualify. It's a new construction home and we haven't gone through underwriting yet. The good news is my Dti will be significantly lower with the new salary. But will the mortgage lenders approve my application with such a recent job change? It's in the same general field, Im a w2 employee right now and still will be with the new company. Any thoughts?

Same field, W2 employee, and 50% pay increase? 

Not a problem. (That's kinda the opposite of a problem!)

(But do talk to your LO, and make sure that a copy of the new contract and/or 1 or 2 new paystubs will be available for UW...)

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

When we got our preapproval letter it specifically said, "a change in employment that results in an increase to income will not impact this determination." With that being saod, loan officers hate surprises so I'd email or call and let them know the situation
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

As long as it is in the same line of work, and you will be guaranteed a salary or minimum number of hours per week you should be fine.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alright, thank you for the responses! I'm much less stressed about it now. The loan officer we are working with is out of the office until Monday, so I wasn't able to ask him about this.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.