Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refinance question

tag
jdxprs1
Frequent Contributor

Refinance question

I have a mortgage at 5.375. I owe just under $160k. The home is worth $403k according to zillow.

I have basically clean credit for about the last 12 months. Still working on getting it cleaned up. Currently in the mid and upper 500's on the fico 2,4, and 5 scores and mid 620's on the fico 8 scores.

What scores should I be watching to refinance at a rate low enough to make it worth doing? What scores do I need to achieve to get a rate to make it worth doing?
Last app 1/2/2017.
In the garden until at least 6/2/2017.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Refinance question

@jdxprs1 wrote:
I have a mortgage at 5.375. I owe just under $160k. The home is worth $403k according to zillow.

I have basically clean credit for about the last 12 months. Still working on getting it cleaned up. Currently in the mid and upper 500's on the fico 2,4, and 5 scores and mid 620's on the fico 8 scores.

What scores should I be watching to refinance at a rate low enough to make it worth doing? What scores do I need to achieve to get a rate to make it worth doing?

The FICO 5,4,2 variety.

I don't know much on FHA refinances, but a 15 year FHA loan might be an option at least based on a quick Google of rates; I think you basically need to get to 620 before you can do a conventional Fannie one, but then that might be an option since you're under 60% LTV.

        
Message 2 of 11
jdxprs1
Frequent Contributor

Currently have a conventional
Last app 1/2/2017.
Message 3 of 11
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

If you choose a 15-year term or shorter, then with conventional financing the scores don't impact what interest rates you qualify for (620 score is the minmium required though), so I'd make that your first goal. 

What are the delinquent items on your credit that are bringing your scores down?  I ask because a 620 doesn't mean an automatic approval.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 11
jdxprs1
Frequent Contributor

2 capital on cards with balances under 1k that are about 5 years old. 2 medical collections under $100. About 5 late payments on mortgage. A fully paid auto loan with ally that had a bunch of late payments. Finally 2 collections accounts each under 1k. One is paid and being removed. The other will be paid but probably not removed.
Last app 1/2/2017.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you simply looking to refinance to lower your costs, or are you looking to get some cash out?
Message 6 of 11
jdxprs1
Frequent Contributor

lower cost and time. leaning towards a 15 year at a much lower rate, so i can lower my payment and shorten the time left to pay off.

Last app 1/2/2017.
Message 7 of 11
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

For the medical collections, search the internet for "WhyChat HIPAA Letter Program Guide".

What MM/YY were the late payments on the mortgage?

Are the Cap 1 accounts collections, charge-offs, in good standing, etc.?

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 8 of 11
jdxprs1
Frequent Contributor

Last late on mortgage was 02/16. The cap one accounts were chargeoffs in the summer of 2012.
Last app 1/2/2017.
Message 9 of 11
jdxprs1
Frequent Contributor

Is it worth going through the Hippa process for 134$ and 74$?
Last app 1/2/2017.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.