Did you mean: 

Steaming Mad - Need Advice

tag
MattH
Senior Contributor

Re: Steaming Mad - Need Advice

@Anonymous wrote:

MattH,

...No plumber has been contacted. It was like you said they had a friend of a friend look at it and estimated a price of $350...I am also contacting a lawyer Monday to go over my options...

If it's really about $350 then in your shoes I would probably just get it done, that kind of money isn't worth losing a real estate purchase over it, but I would certainly have a plumber I trusted take a look at it to find out whether $350 is a realistic estimate!  As with any profession, plumbers vary all over the map.  Shortly after my wife and I bought our place in 2002 a small plumbing problem arose and since it (1) affected only our unit and (2) only arose some months after we bought the place it was clearly our problem.  It didn't cost all that much to fix, but was annoying because a few weeks after that plumber had worked on it the leak returned.  We called a different plumber who explained why the first repair had not lasted and proposed a plan for a better fix.  This leak has yet to recur seven years later.  Needless to say, since then when something has needed doing we have called the second plumber (who was recommended by the Junior Warden of our Church) rather than the first guy (who was recommended by the condo management company).

Message Edited by MattH on 04-12-2009 03:53 PM
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MattH wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

MattH,

...No plumber has been contacted. It was like you said they had a friend of a friend look at it and estimated a price of $350...I am also contacting a lawyer Monday to go over my options...

If it's really about $350 then in your shoes I would probably just get it done, that kind of money isn't worth losing a real estate purchase over it, but I would certainly have a plumber I trusted take a look at it to find out whether $350 is a realistic estimate!  As with any profession, plumbers vary all over the map.  Shortly after my wife and I bought our place in 2002 a small plumbing problem arose and since it (1) affected only our unit and (2) only arose some months after we bought the place it was clearly our problem.  It didn't cost all that much to fix, but was annoying because a few weeks after that plumber had worked on it the leak returned.  We called a different plumber who explained why the first repair had not lasted and proposed a plan for a better fix.  This leak has yet to recur seven years later.  Needless to say, since then when something has needed doing we have called the second plumber (who was recommended by the Junior Warden of our Church) rather than the first guy (who was recommended by the condo management company).

Message Edited by MattH on 04-12-2009 03:53 PM

If it is just $350 no I do not want to lose the deal over it. I just find it really strange that they said they was going to fix it, fixed all the other repairs tell me they are waiting for a plumber and  the water company to shut off the water so the leak can be fixed then a few days later come back and say they are not going to fix it.

I requested to the selling agent if I can have a plumber take a look and give me a true estimate. I'll update as soon as he responds.

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seller is going to make the repairs as agreed. Thanks everyone for your help!!!!
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's great. Good for you!
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.