Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

liability?

tag
Shawn_L
Established Member

Re: liability?

I'm by no means a civil engineer, but by looking at the pictures that you have posted... It looks as if the neghbor to your left (when looking at the front of the building), has a retaining wall as well.  With that alone, it tells me that your block is on such a slope that you might need one as well if it continues to go down hill.  I could be completley wrong though.

Message 11 of 12
basballguy
Frequent Contributor

Re: liability?

The inspector ended up calling me after i posted about this and said the following:

In his opinion, the slope looked fine, but he did ask for the builder to provide a drainage report/summary/whatever and said that’s something he normally wouldn’t ask for

He said the difference between my property and others in the neighborhood was the fact that where there ARE retaining walls, the houses are much closer together.  Distance between neighbors is a big deal.

After asking him if I was wrong to reach out to him, he said absolutely not.  He said he encourages home owners to call him directly if they have any questions.  He went as far as saying “You’re making a huge investment.  You have every right to ask these questions to me.”

He did make it a point to say he has generally had really good experiences with my builder and says their work is better (although not the best) than many of the other builders in the area and including the builders he saw when he inspected for Allen, Frisco, and Plano (north DFW, i'm in south DFW)

Maybe the builder was mad they now have to pay for a drainage report and is trying to curb any additional cost?  I dunno.  He said worse case, if a problem were to occur, it would fall on the surveyor or the warranty.

So I guess that ends this diiscussion?  Not sure about the business practices from my builder?

Also not sure if I'm just a problem customer.

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.