Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rescoring

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

rescoring

we recently applied for a mortage loan and the credit report showed that we the consumer has an on going dispute with the company that has our car loan, when i called the car lender they said there is no dispute on our account therefore sent us a letter to give to mortage company!!! the mortgage broker said they would do a rapid rescore for the dispute... question is will that cause our score to increase, decrease or stay the same????? this is the only thing they are fixing

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: rescoring

Is it an active dispute or is it something old that just has a comment to the effect of "Consumer disputes account information" and maybe "meets FCRA guidelines."  If it's an old dispute that just has that notation, there shouldn't be any difference in the score. 

If it is a recent, active dispute, it may affect your credit score because disputed accounts are ignored for scoring purposes.  So if you dispute an account with late payments, your score can go up, but once the dispute is concluded and the lates are factored in again (assuming the dispute doesn't get the lates removed), the score drops again.  I seem to remember that not all aspects of the account are ignored during a dispute.  So, for example, perhaps it still counts for your AAoA even though the lates are being ignored.  Someone please correct me on that if wrong.

So, summing up, I think the answer is that if it is a closed dispute, no change.  If it is an active dispute, probably no change if there's nothing negative on the account, but possible change if there are negative entries that are being ignored which will then factor back in once the dispute is removed. 

Edited for (some?) clarity.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.