cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An account not on my report until closed by company..now negative...help on which direction to turn

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

An account not on my report until closed by company..now negative...help on which direction to turn

Hello.

I have/had a cell phone with At&t wireless from January 2008-Dec 2011. Unfortunately due to the downturn in the economy, I lost major money on my paychecks, and eventually my company shut down due to slow sales.  They reopened in April, only to close again in November.  Unfortunately, my cell phone bills ended up taking the "hit".  I was able to pay my other bills with stretching the pay dates, but went under water with AT&T.

Here is my question:  AT&T was never on any reports from the 3 agencies until the account went late and closed. Now all 3 are reporting, which obviously lowers my score.  I want to get this resolved as quickly as possible, including paying it off(which I couldnt do last year but in 2012 am in a better financial position to do so).  However, if I pay for deletion, the credit that was never there disappears. If I do nothing, it sits for 7 years dragging me down. I worked hard to rebuilt from a 431 to 571, with one last negative bill to resolve and now this hits me. Is there a way to pay for a "satisfactory paid and account closed" line so I can keep the 4 years of steady credit, or should I PFD?

If you can think of anything else please let me know, these are the only two good possibilites i came up with.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
atarvuzdar
Established Contributor

Re: An account not on my report until closed by company..now negative...help on which direction to t

Never hurts to try to get an agreement (in writing) from AT&T that they will update the account to "pays as agreed" in return for full payment. The other option would be a pay for delete which, as you mentioned, would remove the 4 years of account history which, I'm assuming from your concern, is helping your average age of accounts. But honestly, if they will only give you the pay for delete then I would take it since your bad history with them was so recent. Good luck!

FICO 8: EQ 846 / TU 836 / EX 832
AMEX Platinum / BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $99,900 / Chase CSR $43,400 / Citi Double Cash $39,600 / AMEX EveryDay $30,000 / Discover It $26,000 / Gemini $25,000 / JetBlue $25,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited $22,500
Message 2 of 3
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: An account not on my report until closed by company..now negative...help on which direction to t

I would say it depends on how it shows on your CR ~ what is the date opened on this record ?  Is it 2011 ?  or 2008 ?

Most of the time, utilities don't report unless you stop paying, when they become a charge off or collection.   Not sure if they can turn it into a positive account but it's certainly worth a shot.    If not, then deleting it is a good idea.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.