Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call from collection agency, how to handle

tag
themeggerz
New Contributor

Call from collection agency, how to handle

I have a house line that I never use - part of a "bundle" - and only recently decided to call the messages to see if I got any.

5/12  recieved a phone call from a small local collection agency, addressing me my my Maiden Name
"Hi this is Ms. Sullivan and this message is for Megan maidenname... please call me"

I go by Meg, not Megan. Megan is not my legal name.

5/17 same phone call.

5/21 recieved a phone call saying my name with my husband's name.

"Hi this is Ms. Sullivan and this message is for Megan DHlastname... please call me"

5/29 recieved phone call with the husband's last name like above.

6/4 recieved a phone call that says;

"Hi this is Ms. Sullivan and this message is for Megan and Pat dh last name"

Now they are asking for my current husband. 

1. My husband is deployed in afghanistan, and for sure if this is a valid collection (I don't believe so , as I monitor my credit and know I don't owe any money) it has NOTHING to do with him.  The fact that they now are trying to pull him into this irritates me to the core.  

2. The fact they do not use my legal first name NOR my legal last name.... 

3. They do not provide a mailing address and googling the number they call from (they dont give a company name) I can't find a mailing address.

I want these calls to stop, mostly because I dont check this number ever. I dont use the number EVER (just part of the bundle, its cheaper to HAVE the phone lol) and I dont have an anonymous number to call them from.

Help?

SCORES (2/2013): EX 795 TU 717 EXP 726
Goal: 800+ and Gardening

Wallet: NavyFed 15k AMEX BCE 2k Discover 3k BOA 5k
CapitalOne 2250 HSBC RZM 950 Best Buy SC 2900
GEMB/Paypal 3700 Merrick Bank 1k Zales 2k Barclays 1300 GEMB/AJMadison 3600 Walmart 800 VS 500 NY&CO 400
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Re: Call from collection agency, how to handle

If it's a legitimate debt, they have a right to make contact.

Could be a case of mistaken identity, skip-tracing, or anything else. Why can't you simply call from a payphone?

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Can you post either the phone number or company name ( if you have been able to locate ? ).   We should be able to find an address based on either one....

Also I believe that if you hit *67 before you dial a number it will block your caller ID.  

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 6
themeggerz
New Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

If it's a legitimate debt, they have a right to make contact.

I do not believe it is a legitimate debt and have not recieved anything in the mail.

Could be a case of mistaken identity, skip-tracing, or anything else. Why can't you simply call from a payphone?

Not to be smart, but our last names are in no way shape or form common, and I am in management in a financial insitution and have been for some time. I don't think a skip trace stumble would apply to me.  plus, any collection would hinder my ability to continue my job.

There hasn't been a pay phone within 30 miles of me in years LOL.  Maybe next time I'm in NYC visiting family I can do that.

Thanks for your reply!!

GEMB/Paypal 3700 Merrick Bank 1k Zales 2k Barclays 1300 GEMB/AJMadison 3600 Walmart 800 VS 500 NY&CO 400
Message 4 of 6
themeggerz
New Contributor

pizzadude - googling comes back to a cell phone. I've tnid.us 'd it and done a couple of reverses.  The phone number they give is a cell phone in my locality . They call with an UNKNOWN number.  802-236-4988 is the number they leave and they provide an extension (maybe they use a cell phone and then it farms intoa  phone hub?)

*67 only works in some instances ... for instance if you call my work line, no amount of caller ID blocking or *67 will actually block it. If you have a caller ID blocker (physical device between phone and wall jack) that'll work.  

Message 5 of 6
drkaje
Senior Contributor

I read that you don't believe it's a legitimate debt.

I recently got skip-traced regarding the Ex's debts, LOL! Was highly annoyed.

Payphones are becoming scarce. FWIW, they already have a working number for you, I'm no expert but can't see any reason for not returning calls on a number they're presently using to contact you.

You could try doing a Google search of the number! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.