cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get a closed unpaid collection removed?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I get a closed unpaid collection removed?

I have 2 accounts with National Credit Systems for $1521 and $500 for a broken lease & security deposit and SOL is not up until May 2017. I was using a credit repair company for a few months last year in which time they disputed these 2 accounts with all 3 CRAs and they all show a disputed comment now. Both accounts remain open on all 3 reports except the $1521 is closed as of Feb. 2015 with TU.

From what I gather this means the CA probably lost collection authority since the debt remains unpaid. But why would they only close 1 account and not both? Wouldn't they lose collection authority on both?

I was planning to DV them after SOL expires but am unsure of what to do now since the 1 is closed. I don't have the investigation report from TU on why they closed but haven't received anything from the reporting CA, the apartment company or a new CA if it's been re-assigned or sold but it also hasn't been updated since Feb. 2015 if memory serves me (my 3 recent CR pulls are at work in my desk at the moment).

What are my options? Any clue on why 1 account would be closed and not both and why no update with all 3 CRAs? How can I find out the status of the accounts and who has the accounts right now without opening myself up to a possible lawsuit before the SOL expires? Am I able to dispute and get it removed on the basis of termination of collection authority?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can I get a closed unpaid collection removed?

I'd like to add that I pulled my free report on 3/2 or 3/3 and under the $1521 account in the status section it showed 'in collection' and underneath it said closed as of 2/7/15 following investigation of dispute or something along those lines and shows that date as the last update. This is also what credit karma says. I was curious about a dispute status for a Midland account and figured out I had an account so I logged in and was shown a report dated 3/14 which shows the Midland report gone but also shows the NCS account updated as of 2/8/16 and doesn't show that closed message. Idk if it's because it's not the full printout or what but now I'm questioning everything.
Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

There is only one logical reason why a debt collector would affirmatively report to a CRA that they are no longer collecting on the debt, which is what reportng of a closed status for their collection means.  It would be becauase their collection authority has been terminated, either by way of the owner/creditor having terminated the assignment of collection authority, or tthey owned the debt and have sold it.

If unpaid, CRA polcy instructs them to delete their reporting.  However if they have not also updated the balance to report $0, the assumption that their collection authority has actually been terminated may not be the case.  They may have simply decided to cease collection for some other reason.  You could call and ask......

As for wating to send a DV, if you wait more than 30-days after receipt of dunning notice, it will not impose any cease collection bar, and can simply be ignored.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

So who should I call to see if their collection authority has been terminated or if they've just closed the account, the CA or OC? I don't want to engage in conversation with them and say the wrong thing or have them start sending me bills again.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.