Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Child support paid

tag
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Child support paid

FCRA 622 mandates that a CRA shall include in credit reports any information they acquire from a government agency relating to overdue child support, so they may refuse to grant any exclusion or deletion in view of the statutory mandate.

However, that relates only to whether the information will become known to those doing a manual review.

It does not mandate that they affect your credit score.  If FICO does not include child support derogs in payment history scoring, it may only be a manual review issue.

"FCRA 622  Information on Overdue Child Support Obligations

Notwithstanding any other provision of this title, a consumer reporting agency shall include in any consumer report furnished by the agency in accordance with section 604 [§ 1681b] of this title, any information on the failure of the consumer to pay overdue support which is provided to the consumer reporting agency by a State or local child support enforcement agency; or

to the consumer reporting agency and verified by any local, State, or Federal government agency;

and antedates the report by 7 years or less."

Message 21 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

FCRA 622 mandates that a CRA shall include in credit reports any information they acquire from a government agency relating to overdue child support, so they may refuse to grant any exclusion or deletion in view of the statutory mandate.

However, that relates only to whether the information will become known to those doing a manual review.

It does not mandate that they affect your credit score.  If FICO does not include child support derogs in payment history scoring, it may only be a manual review issue.

"FCRA 622  Information on Overdue Child Support Obligations

Notwithstanding any other provision of this title, a consumer reporting agency shall include in any consumer report furnished by the agency in accordance with section 604 [§ 1681b] of this title, any information on the failure of the consumer to pay overdue support which is provided to the consumer reporting agency by a State or local child support enforcement agency; or

to the consumer reporting agency and verified by any local, State, or Federal government agency;

and antedates the report by 7 years or less."

Robert..

After reading FCRA 622, there is nothing there that says late payments will not be used in calculating FICO scores.  It simply states that all information should be reported.

I guess I'll do more reading.  I know there is an article on myFICO that says child support is not considered in FICO scoring, but where is it mentioned in the Act?

How should it be reported exactly, etc. etc. etc.?

Thanks.

Message 22 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a couple links to some articles I've recently read!

Doesn't look good if your payments are ever late!

http://blog.credit.com/2016/07/will-child-support-payments-affect-my-credit-150155/

https://www.thebalance.com/protect-your-credit-score-960516

https://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/unpaid-child-support-affecting-credit.html

If I am not supposed to post links, please advise.  I will be glad to remove.

Thanks!

Message 23 of 25
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The FCRA makes no stipulation as to whether or not child support derogs can be included in credit scoring.

It is entirely at the discretion of the vendor of a credit score as to whether they will include a given item.

Yes, I have seen posts stating that child support obligations are excluded from credit scoring, but it is not based on any requirement under the statute.  Specifics of credit scoring criteria are maintained as proprietary trade secrets, and are protected from disclosure under federal trade secret law.  I am not aware of public pronouncements directly from Fair Isaac that would place the scoring criteria for child support arrears in the public domain.

Message 24 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I cannot locate anything that states exactly how child support effects credit scores.  So, I suppose I'll learn for myself with time as my child support terminates on 6/5/18.  I have numerous lates, but have been caught up for since 2016.  Currently I am prepaid by 2 months.

After doing some investigation on my Experian CMS 3CB, I've noticed that although my Experian score is the lowest, my CS isn't showing up on my report.  Maybe it is on the actual report, but it isn't on my CMS.  Also, the 3CB on CMS are all showing that my late payments are coming from an old charged off NFCU account that is scheduled to fall off in June 2018.  So, within the next 6 months I'll know exactly how CS is effecting MY scores.

However, YMMV.

Thanks!

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.