cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Pay For Delete GOODWILL Letters Work?

tag
Johnny_Favorite
Regular Contributor

Do Pay For Delete GOODWILL Letters Work?

I am working on my wife's acct right now. What do you guys think about this letter? It's for a utility company that has a record of not working with people on PFD's so I'm thinking that step is pointless. Debt has been validated. I was thinking of combining the elements of a pay for delete with the elements of a goodwill deletion. In other words, paying them and then asking nicely if they can delete as it was an honest mistake.

Dear Southern California Edison,

A few years ago I vacated my apartment and thought my bills were up to date. Unfortunately in my move I forgot to forward my bill to my new address and it is now showing as a debt on my credit report. I am very sorry for this mishap and would like to pay it in full.

I am asking if there is any way possible that this can be deleted from my report once this bill is paid? I hope that you understand that I never meant for this to happen and I would have gladly paid it in full had I received a final bill at my new address I am not denying this is my error but I am just asking for leniency given the circumstances. It would greatly help my situation if this were not on my credit report.

Please accept this check for $58.00 as payment in full and I hope you will work with me to delete this account from Experian, Equifax and Transunion. I am really looking to put this unfortunate mistake behind me if that's possible. Please help.

Thank you,

XXXXXX

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Do Pay For Delete GOODWILL Letters Work?

Yes, they do work.  I can attest to that first hand.  I like your letter.  It's short and sweet, gives an explanation and a solution.  It is well mannered and appropriate.  If I were to receive it, I would grant it.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 22
Johnny_Favorite
Regular Contributor

Thank you for the encouragement shogun. I'll send it in the mail... crossing my fingers.... =)

Message 3 of 22
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

yup. all that ive sent, have been honored. all derogs except for one remains.
5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 4 of 22
diabla
Regular Contributor

Agreed.  Also like that you're enclosing the money so its not a matter of, I'm going to do this IF you do that.

Message 5 of 22
igids1
Regular Contributor

Ive found that utilities will not accept a pay for delete, however, once paid they seem to remove from the CRAs.

Message 6 of 22
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@igids1 wrote:

Ive found that utilities will not accept a pay for delete, however, once paid they seem to remove from the CRAs.

I agree with this statement.. But your letter looks great! good job..

I addition, I just wanted to point outthat ALL pfd letters are good will letters..

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 7 of 22
Johnny_Favorite
Regular Contributor

I have renewed hope. Thank you guys!

Message 8 of 22
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

I ave had 3 successful PFD letters. 1. Medical, 1. Utility bill and 1. Service agreement. So yes, they do work.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 22
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I had a utility bill that was reporting. I called them and paid the $208 and then I sent a goodwill letter. I received a letter back from them about 2 weeks later stating that they would remove the collection.

Best of luck to you!
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.