Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fingerhut - U gotta start somewhere

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fingerhut - U gotta start somewhere

Like everyone else on here, I have been obsessed with these boards and  started my rebuild immediately after my BK discharge.

I see several people with Fingerhut accounts as I have read they are good for rebuilding. I apped, and got approved for the fresh sart program. Does anyone know how long they take to report, or do I have to buy something for them to start reporting?

Can't wait to see some alert action on my MyFico app!!

Gonna twiddle my fingers and wait for this and Cap 1 to report.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fingerhut - U gotta start somewhere

Fingerhut and Cap 1 seem to be the most accepting of poor credit. I would assume it takes 1 cycle for a CC company to report so I'd think about 30 days or so.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am also rebuilding. September 26th I got Cap 1 secured card $300 then 2 days later app for the QS1 card & got a $500 cl. Same day I app for Fingerhut and was approved for  $400 so I ordered something for $50 & as soon as it was possible to pay within a few days then I paid all except $16. FH immediately started reporting within a week with only $16. My score jumped 50 points. I have been using Cap 1 & paying it off. It still has not reported yet.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I am also rebuilding. September 26th I got Cap 1 secured card $300 then 2 days later app for the QS1 card & got a $500 cl. Same day I app for Fingerhut and was approved for  $400 so I ordered something for $50 & as soon as it was possible to pay within a few days then I paid all except $16. FH immediately started reporting within a week with only $16. My score jumped 50 points. I have been using Cap 1 & paying it off. It still has not reported yet.

Oh WOW!!! Well at least FIngerhut will report sooner than Cap 1. I'll just order some sheets as I need some anyway aned let them start reporting.

Cap 1 needs to get it together. I app'd for my cards Oct 4th, so it probably wont report for now.

If you dont mind me asking what was your score before and after the jump?

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

My CK scores before FH....TU 628, EQ 617.  Scores after FH reported TU 681, EQ 676. This is amazing for me because everytime I have gotten ready to buy a vehicle or home I think I have been in the high 500 for so long because I did not understand how this work. Took me a few days on this site researching just to figure out how to increase my score and a FH account did it. This past week I also got approved 10k for the CareCredit card.  I was denied for Amazon store card. I should have waited for both of my Cap 1 cards to report next month. All I want now is to eventually get 2 prime rewards credit cards and a auto loan.  Then by the end of 2016 a small mortgage loan.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh WOW!!! Well at least FIngerhut will report sooner than Cap 1. I'll just order some sheets as I need some anyway aned let them start reporting.

Cap 1 needs to get it together. I app'd for my cards Oct 4th, so it probably wont report for now.

If you dont mind me asking what was your score before and after the jump?

Ok I just read in another thread that the Fresh Start program might not report so soon. I don't know if I'm in the Fresh Start program. I don't see it listed on my account. 

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you were given a credit limit of $300+ and paid no deposit, you have a regular Fingerhut card.

With a regular FH card, which you likely have, you can pay it off (PIF) right away, if so desired. Doesn't matter to FH - do what works best for you. However, for anyone with FH Freshstart, it's very important to not PIF - pay the balance down to zero over about 6 months or so, and it should upgrade to regular.

Fingerhut is among the best cards out there for rebuilders that's reasonably priced, considering the large risks they're taking. Approving applicants with lots of baddies and FICO scores low as very high 400s / low 500s (mine were 507-513 with zero active credit lines, tons of baddies and charge offs; approved for $400 regular). Despite the losses, FH doesn't resort to annual fees, monthly fees, etc like most sub-prime non-store cards do (ie. Credit One, First Premier, Verve, etc). Fingerhut absorbs some of the risk by charging more for their products, but often the price difference, while certainly noticeable, generally isn't totally off the deep-end; use of coupon codes / promos greatly help when shopping FH.

Bottom line, as already pointed out, Fingerhut is among the best ways to start out; getting a score boost.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

that's good to know , i just got the fresh start, will make first purchase/deposit end of week. plan to pay at least 4 pays. hoping for score boost. I got approved with no new tradelines , and 2 co, and 2 medical ca. I'm hoping by making nov/dec/jan payment in Feb 2016 , and paying/ hippa getting rid of medical ca, I can order my real fico and see it close to 600. my fako's are around 575. 

thanks again for posting, there's hope on horizon. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.