Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fingerhut??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fingerhut??

So I applied to their fresh start program. And before accepting it I have been doing some reading. Consumer affairs has hundreds of bad reviews stating they will report late payments even if you are on time and such. Anyone have any experience with these guys?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Existentialist
Frequent Contributor

Re: Fingerhut??

While bad experiences can exist (amongst ALL issuers) to some degree, dont accept this necessarily as the default consensus given that there are many more who can assert the exact opposite. Plenty herein (and elsewhere) for example hav been able to successfully utilize Fingerhut as a building/REbuilding tool toward improving their overall credit and theres no reason to believe U wont be able to do the same. As long as U understand that they are a means to an end and manage your dealings accordingly, chances are you'll be fine. Good luck.

Message 2 of 10
MRsolis
Regular Contributor

My experience with the consumers affairs website is it is full of people who don't own up to their mistakes.....I have bad credit and am rebuilding and the cause of the bad credit was my fault. That being said I have read so many bad reviews for First premier, Credit one, Fingerhut, American Credit Acceptance (auto loan) and I have NEVER had any problems with payments or customer service....heck some even went above and beyond to get me help. 

So if you make your payments online or through your banks bill pay then no you should never have problems but by mail....well I have never really sent a payment by mail so I can't say....I mean it could be that all those people made their payments by mail 

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the responses.I was thinking about this earlier and if fingerhut really does this to sooo many people. They wouldn't exist anymore. Can't break laws like that on a daily basis and get away with it.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never personally had any issues with them. I started with $500 in 18 months was increased to $1900. I was careful made oayments online and in advance.
Message 5 of 10
joeyoey
Frequent Contributor

When I was starting to rebuild they were one of the very first companies to extend credit to me.  I bought one thing & took 3 months to pay it off & never used them again.  They started me out with (I think) $300 & about 6 months later they increased it to $1000 & I closed it shortly after.  I do NOT recommend them for purchasing...prices are too high, interest rates are way too high & they charge too much for shipping.  But, to buy one or two things & pay them off quickly, they will add a positive line to your report & that helps if your credit stinks like mine did when I used them.  haha

Starting Score (02/01/2014): EQ 548 EX 548 TU 564
Current/Most Recent FICO Score (4/01/2015): EQ 686 EX 668 TU 669
Nov 1, 2015 Goal: 700 Across all 3

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

test

Message 6 of 10
kuku4koco
Frequent Contributor

I was approved for $500 (not fresh start), but right after I paid my 2nd statement, I got a credit limit increase... so, not bad at all for building/rebuilding.  I've had no problems.

EQ: 731 TU: 705 EX: 715

Cap1 QS: 9k USBank: 7k Amex BCE: 14.1k BoA: 8k Discover: 4.4k CareCredit: 12k *Various Store Cards: 18.7k
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whats their policy on paying early? (not necessarily for the fresh start) but, since i am a bit nervous about the reviews ive read saying Fingerhut likes to say you paid late if you post a payment and it doesnt clear for 2 days (on their end). i mean, if it says Due the 15th and i pay on the 2nd, will that count as paid for that pay cycle or are they one of those..."that just came out of the balance, you're still late" types?

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I always paid early, using web payment, and never had any issues..
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was approved, paid every 2 weeks (on paycheck day), and within 8 weeks got a CLI. Went from $400 to $1100. I haven't had an issue with late payments, as I pay double the monthly minimum every 2 weeks.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.