Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodwill Letter Review

tag
GoHooterGo
Regular Contributor

Goodwill Letter Review

Hoping to get a criqtue or review for a Goodwill Letter I'm about to mail out!

TIA!

Colonial Savings

Address

City, State, Zip

Date

To whom it may concern,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to read this letter. I will always be grateful and appreciative of Colonial Savings for allowing me to purchase my first home that I still cherish today! 

I am writing to you today to request a Goodwill Adjustment to my account in hopes to have my late payments removed from the Credit Reporting Bureaus. I understand that this is a BIG ask and an unusual request, and ultimately the reporting is accurate, I would like to explain a little bit of what has transpired during that time from late 2015 to early 2019 where my late payments occured.

In late 2015, my wife (now ex-wife) and I began to have marital problems that resulted in our separation and untimely divorce. As a result, I moved out of the home in November of 2015 and rented an apartment while we tried to work things out. My ex-wife was supposed to be paying the mortgage payments as per our verbal agreement, and many times she would pay me late or not at all. I couldn’t afford both a mortgage payment and rent at the time, and struggled financially, but I attempted to do my best and kept paying whatever I could whenever I could.

Eventually I had filed for dissolution/divorce (which I have attached for your consideration with CASE/DOCKET #) and as a part of our agreement, I was awarded the home (home address) and she finally moved out in February 2018 and I retook possession of the home.

I began to chip away at the past due balance that I owed Colonial Savings and just as I had started to get caught up, I then lost my job of 8 years on December 18th 2018.

Luckily, I have since gotten a much better paying job in 2019 that has allowed me to catch up on these payments and has allowed me to stay current with Colonial Savings for nearly 3 years now. Gratefully, I am still at this job.

I am sorry for the long letter, but I truly wanted to explain the circumstances that led to this embarrassing time of my life and I have been working my butt off to get my credit back to where it was when I bought this home. I take pride my in credit worthiness, and I know I have a lot of work left to do, but I have made a lot of progress in the three years since then, and my credit reports reflect my efforts. These late payments are still an awful reminder of this embarrassing and sad time in my life. All I can do is continue to do my best and build for the future.

I hope you consider my goodwill adjustment request and once again, thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

GoHooterGo

Starting Scores FICO8 - 02-23-2022

Current Scores FICO8

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Goodwill Letter Review

I don't think you need that much detail. Especially so much personal info. I'd revise it and remove all the personal info/situation and just summarize the problem, explain how you're better now, and how you'll be better prepared for emergencies (savings, etc.) in the future. You have to remember, this is completely at their discretion, and whomever's desk this lands on probably doesn't want to spend so much time on reading such a long-winded request. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 3
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Goodwill Letter Review

How many lates happened during this not so happy place in life?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.