Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge milestone in my credit building journey

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Huge milestone in my credit building journey

Hey all,

I started my journed as soon as I turned 18, because I knew how important credit would be to me as I got older. That was about 8 months ago. I had zero history to start with and neither of my parents had good credit, so authorized signer was not an option. I started with a Bank of America Secured Card with a $300 limit, used it sparingly and paid off in full for a few months. Then I made a big leap: I applied for an unsecured Capital One Quicksilver card. Surprise surprise, I got a "notice in writing within 21 days" decision. So I gave them a call, and to my surprise I was approved for a $500 CL over the phone after answering a few simple questions. This put me in Capital One's "Credit Steps" program, which meant in 5 months I would get an automatic CLU to $750. Well, I had forgotten about that and the CLI just happened. A (comparatively) whopping $3,500 CL! The interest rate is the same (20~%) so I wont be able to carry a balance, but it's nice to have none the less. My fico scores are now 690, 691, and 690 and seem to climb dramatically every month.

Tldr; There you have it, a little more than 8 months, and I went from no credit history to a 3,500 CL. Wouldn't have been possible without all the advice on this forum Smiley Happy. It was easy, frankly, it just takes parience and dilligence! 

Thanks for all the help, onward to greater credit!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Huge milestone in my credit building journey

Congrats

Message 2 of 4
MissMc89
New Contributor

That's awesome!

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

congrats! that's awesome. for educational purposes. did you charge and PIF the cap one card more than once a month? 7 x CLI seems to be high given your AAoA, $300 limit on your other card, only 2 CC reporting .... 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.