Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgement on my credit report

tag
Stylez
Valued Member

Judgement on my credit report

A few years back I got into a fender bender on my way home from work. I was going like 10 MPH and there was no damage to either car. However, the guy I hit turned out to be an injury lawyer who owned his own practice. Needless to say, he ended up suing me. He sued me for $200,000(which just so happened to be how much I was insured for). Anyway, the guy refused to settle and the case ended up in trial. The jury awarded him $8,500, which my insurance company paid right away. I now have a paid judgement on my credit report. Does anyone know what type of effect this has on my credit, and if I have any recourse? I don't see how that judgement against me has any sort of relevance to my credit worthiness.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Judgement on my credit report

@Stylez wrote:

A few years back I got into a fender bender on my way home from work. I was going like 10 MPH and there was no damage to either car. However, the guy I hit turned out to be an injury lawyer who owned his own practice. Needless to say, he ended up suing me. He sued me for $200,000(which just so happened to be how much I was insured for). Anyway, the guy refused to settle and the case ended up in trial. The jury awarded him $8,500, which my insurance company paid right away. I now have a paid judgement on my credit report. Does anyone know what type of effect this has on my credit, and if I have any recourse? I don't see how that judgement against me has any sort of relevance to my credit worthiness.

Its a public record, file motion to vacate it in the court that granted it on grounds its been paid by insurance, once this is granted its off your CRs. A  PR affects your score the entire time its on file.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.