Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Midland still contacting me after 7 years & REMOVED from Credit Report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Midland still contacting me after 7 years & REMOVED from Credit Report

So, Midland Credit Management took over an account of mine from Roger's Jewelry that went into collections in 2006.  This was charged off on 5/17/2007.   I was dumb, even in 2009, when I received a settlement offer from them on the then $360.00 account to offer me a $212.00 settlement.  I just put it in a shoebox with the rest of the bills.  Last year I decided that now is the time and if we want to ever become homeowners, we have to pay off everything on our credit reports.  I call the company in October and mention the offer in 2009 and told them that while this account is approaching seven years, I would like to see about a settlement offer.  The lady did everything but laughed at me.  She told me that the account was now up to $411.00 and that no settlement was going to be offered at that time. She did however, want my updated home address and phone number.  Sure she did!  The next month I received a bill from them.  No settlement offer.  At the end of the bill it reads:  The law limits how long you can be sued on a debt.  Because of the age of your debt, we will not sue you for it, we will not report it to any credit reporting agency, and payment or non-payment of this debt will not affect your credit score. 

So, I thought I would once again forget it.  Let it fall off because it's approaching seven years anyway.

Three weeks ago today, I receive a call from Midland from a man informing me of my bill yada yada.  I politely told him that the reason he had my current phone number is because I gave it to him to the company in October when I called in and requested a settlement agreement to pay this off.  My bill is now at $413.  He tells me that he is in management and has the authority to offer me a settlement after putting me on a 1 minute hold.  He offered me a settlement of @248.62.  He wanted the money then.  I told him to put it in writing.  I told him that once I received that agreement and on paper, I would mail him the money via a certified money order.  He ended up agreeing to this.  He gave me a February 28th deadline to mail in the payment. 

On February 9th, I go to Credit Karma and pull up my updated credit report.  Midland was removed from my credit report in November '14.   I call the lady that we are working with at the HomeOwnership Center and explain the settlement offer and that it is nolonger on my report.  She said that the fact that I agreed to a settlement with the company means that I am admitting to the debt.  She said that even though the debt has since fallen off of my credit report, I am still obligated to pay.  She said that if I didn't, they would continue to call and harass me.  For obvious reasons, I am not going to tell them that it is nolonger on my report if I talk to them.  But if I opted not to pay the agreed settlement, would they end up re-reporting it on my report?

Why do I still have to pay this like she advised?

By the way, my score is now at 630......up 100 points in just a little over a year!

~M

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

Re: Midland still contacting me after 7 years & REMOVED from Credit Report

No, they cannot re-report, and this bill can't destroy your chances of a home loan as it doesn't show up. The limit for reporting end 7.5 years past DOFD and therefore cannot be reinserted. I would put the money elsewhere and let bygones be bygones. You gave them there chance and they as you said were rude and did not want to work with you. Now that they know it can't hirt you anymore aside from them calling you or sending you mail sure they want to offer a settlement LOL
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

But I already agreed to a settlement with the guy that called me last month.  I am to pay $248 by February 28th.  I could use that money elsewhere for sure.  I just don't understand why someone is telling me that I would feel better with myself if I paid them.  Honestly, I would feel amazing if I was able to hold on to it. 

I just want to know what my reprocussions will be if I ignore them and what will happen come March 1st when it isn't paid.  Last week, they called me 2 times on Tuesday, no voicemail and 3 times on Wednsday.  No voicemail.  On the third time, I answered and asked "WHAT DO YOU WANT?"  I finally received their settlement offer in the mail. It wasn't February 28th, what do you want?  I told him that there is no reason to call me.

Message 3 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

You better be sure your agreeing to pay that settlement doesnt reset the SOL in your state, you can look it up in the codified laws that govern the civil court system.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I live in OHIO. Where can I find this?

Message 5 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I live in OHIO. Where can I find this?

Online in the statutes that govern the court system, here are a few places you will find info but there may be more

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/1335

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2305

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

My 74 year old father gets letter/calls from a collection agency for a student loan he defaulted on 35 years ago . Save yourself the headache and pay it off .
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

A cease and desist letter will stop contact. It's illegal for them to harass you.  If you did reset the SOL they can sue, which could be reported as a judgment, but they still can't hound you.  

Message 8 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

A cease and desist letter will stop contact. It's illegal for them to harass you.  If you did reset the SOL it can be reported, but they still can't hound you.  

The credit reporting period cannot be reset, its always a max of 7,5 yrs from the DoFD. SOL refers to the time period that a creditor has to sue to recover the money lent. 2 completely different things.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did edit as you posted.  My fingers don't always say what my head says. Smiley Happy. If they sue it could become a judgment and can be reported.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.