Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Credit Journey

tag
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

My Credit Journey

Hello Everyone,

Just like all of you here I have experienced some credit trouble.   It really dosen't matter how I go there what does matter is I am trying to put it behind me.

The Bad:

Bankruptcy 2005 - it has dropped off of my CR.  

Repo - 2010 it just dropped from my CR this month,

House lost to back taxes, the mortgage company did something very strange I had a very bad payment history with them, getting behind then getting caught up then behind again, so in 2010 they gave up thier interest in the house and relased the lein.  Essentialy they converted it from a mortgage to an unsecured loan.  It will drop from my CR in November of this year.

Old CC debt owed to Credit One sechused to drop from CR in January 2018.

4 Medical Collections accounts 3 will drop from CR by December 2017,  The Last one will not drop until Feb 2019

Car loan with 3 120 day lates and 1- 30 day late, account was pd in full Feb 2014,  120 day lates will drop from CR in Sept 2018, and the 30 day late in Aug of 19.

A lot of personal stuff happened including divorce 

The Good:

A lot of personal stuff including remarriage.

I started reburling in 2015.

Car loan with State Farm Bank opened Aug of 2015 - Never Late

Capital One Secured Card Opened Oct. of 2015 - Never Late  CL 500  paid off every month

AU on my wife's Lowes Card CL 8000 Nevery Late.   This card is either paid off everymonth or within the time of a zero APR promo for a couble of large purchases.   This card really helps me keep my credit utiliztion down.

Scores 

First of all I am too cheap to pay for socres.   I use Fako scores to track ups and downs of score but know the score itself is not accurate. I do use the Discover Creditscorecard to get a real FICO score.

Current Fako scores range from 574 upto 632,  Current FICO from Discover is at 612.

The Future

By Jan of 2018  I will have one medical collections account on my CR.  3 - 120 day late payments, and 1 - 30 day late on my CR.   It will take about another year and a half for all of these to drop from my CR. 

I woiuld like to get an unsecured card then close my secured cap one card and get my deposit back.   My cap one card is too old to get the coversion.  I don't really need access to additioal credit I just want my $200 back.   

Once I get an unsecured card I will probably go as an AU on my wife's  Elan Visa, 12K limit, pd in full every month.  I am worried that having access to that much credit might keep me from getting an unsecured card in my name.

Any advice as I advance through my journey?

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Re: My Credit Journey

You can attempt a PFD on the collection account. Also, consider trying a GW letter for the 120 day late payments.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 2 of 4
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@medicgrrl wrote:
You can attempt a PFD on the collection account. Also, consider trying a GW letter for the 120 day late payments.

I have tried a GW letter on the late payments a couple of months ago and got no response.   I just sent a 2nd one and will see what happens.   I figure I will try every couple of months and see what happens.

As far as the PFD on the one collections account.  I am a little leary about that one because I have a couple of accounts past the SOL and off of my CR with them and am worried that if I try to negotiote on this one that will start the clock the again on the others.   

Anyone have experience where you have multiple accounts with the same CA?

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 3 of 4
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

If the other accounts have a DOFD over 7 1/2 years ago and are past the SOL, I don't think talking to them about this specific account can result in restarting the SOL on the other accounts.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.