cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My credit score went up???? Help with a collection item.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My credit score went up???? Help with a collection item.

thumb_IMG_1948_1024.jpg

Hello everyone, I was needing help with a collection item that was added to my account.  I made the classic mistake of cutting off my internet service before moving and never checking back to see if i had additional fees after paying off the account.  I had all my mail forwarded for a whole year and never got the bill but nevermind that.  The bill is for $109 and it's through Enhanced Recovery Corp.  I have the amount and I can definitely pay it off but what is the best way to go about it? Would it be realistic to ask for a pay for delete? Should I call, mail, email? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I really want this item off even though it looks like it added 9 points to my score. Smiley Surprised

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
jbb27885
New Contributor

Re: My credit score went up???? Help with a collection item.

And here I am trying to KEEP any of my accounts FROM going to collections. Sounds like I'm doing it wrong! lol

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'M NO EXPERT!!!  but if you never got a bill then I would dispute it based on that (can do easy if your with Credit Karma), I did that myself with success.

Or you could contact the original bill company and explain you was not aware of the bill, then ask them if they can take back the debt for the collection agency (that way it will drop off CR) if not then talk to the collections dept (more then likely they will not remove it even with payment) As a last step if all others fail, file a complaint with www.consumerfinance.gov.

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The addition of a new collection will not, in and of itself, result in a score increase.

Something else changed in your credit report that caused the score increase.

You can always request a pay for deletion.

ERC is not known for grant of PFDs, but I would give it a try regardless.

If you are a good negotiator, a personal call may be more effective.

However, if you are hesitant about negotiating with a debt collector, it may be best to send your request in writing.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.