cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NCO Question

tag
niffboy

NCO Question

Hello all, long time lurker, fist time poster. I had started getting calls from NCO about some hospital bills from last year (2010) a month or so ago. I read on here that I should send a DV and see what happens. The DV letter I found mentioned that if they had already posted negative information in my credit file they were in violation of a certain law I'm not sure which atm. So since I have ScorePower I checked my EQ score which was at 677 and found it had dropped to 563. Why? Three negative posts by NCO. Two for $748 and one for $53. Clearly this was a violation?

Anywho, since I got the reciept back from my CMRRR the calls have stopped and just out of curiosity I checked my EQ again and it was 627 and the 3 NCO posts have been removed. I have heard NCO is a beast to deal with, can it truly be that simple, case closed? Or are they planning on springing something on me? 

I also sent a DV to Paragon CMRRR as they have been calling and I even got a letter from them. I am sure they should have gotten the letter by now, but they still call, even though they have yet to post anything on my credit file. At least not with EQ. 

Any advice on next moves with Paragon and any ideas on what NCO might have up their sleeve would be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NCO Question

I had collections from NCO Financial as well.  They were calling me non-stop, sometimes several times a day.  I contacted a consumer law firm, and they sent them a Cease & Desist order.  Since then, NCO Financial has continued their debt collection attempts, and I have filed suit against them for violation of FDCPA.  These guys have stated it is worth while for them to break the laws to collect debt, the amount they pay out in lawsuits doesn't come close to the amount they collect from consumers.  They are the scum of Debt Collectors.  I wouldn't pay them a single penny.  As soon as they recieved the C&D, that week all their accounts on my CRA's were deleted, and yet they still tried to collect.

I would send them a C&D, CMRRR.  And if they attempt to collect, or even ask for info, SUE.  (but that's just me).  I'm not a lawyer or anything....

Message 2 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you sent a timely DV to Paragon,and have CMRRR proof of their receipt, your DV then requried them, under FDCPA 809(b), to cease all communicatin with you regarding the debt until such time as they have provided debt validation.

This is what I suggest.  I would not send them a formal cease communication letter now under FDCPA 805(c).  You have already efectively done that with your DV request. Let them call. Each time they do, do NOT discuss anything related to the debt with them.  Simply inform them that you have DV'd them withno validation on their part to date, and thus their call is a direct violation of FDCPA 809(b).  It is being documented as an FDCPA violation, and any more calls will also be similarly docuented as an FDCPA violation.  Tell them that your calls are all being documented as a basis for both a formal complaint with the FTC, and as a basis for possible legal action. Let them dig their hole deeper and deeper.  That should wake them up!

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seems the dispute that you made with NCo worked. Perhaps they were unable to truly verify the debt was yours. A collection company must have specific info on you and or the original creditor must have proper personal info on you in order to verify that the debt is yours. Any time a collector call you, whether you know the debt is your or not, make them prove it! It is the same as getting stopped by the police whom assumes you are drunk or possible drunk. If you are not drunk then take the breatherlizer, if you are refuse it, either way he has to take you in dont do the creditors work by say, yes, I know, make those dumbs work and prove their case. In your case, that is what happend. At the end of the day, they could not prove it. Also, if you tell a collection company to prove it and all they send you back is a bill they claim was the original bill, well, that is not proof. Proof would be a document with your name, date of birth, ssn etc. If they have that, then your done.

FYI... in now why do I condomn scum bags that can't hold their liguior and drive drunk. It was just a law comparision.

Regarding the other company that keeps calling you even though you sent them letter, if that letter was not ertified, then it is as if you did not send it. Resend a letter cerified mail to them. Put in bold letters on top, SECOND AND FINAL NOTICE TO PROVE DEBT OR STOP CALLING. They will have to sign for it and once you get they yellow copy that they signed, they have 30 days from that day to prove the debt or stop calling you. If they call you after that, take them to court and you will win!!!!!

Message 4 of 9
mauve
Valued Contributor

I had 2 NCO items - one on each of 2 reports, each with a different OC.

Both went away with a DV.  That was a year ago, and I've heard nary a peep since.

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

And you should not hear from them at allSmiley Happy

PS what is DV short for? I normally use full words, lol, silly me.

Message 6 of 9
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

mauve - when you say the accounts "went away" do you mean that they were deleted from your credit reports too??

Mid-2010 Starting Scores: FAKO EQ 476 FAKO EX 506 FICO TU98 575
July 2017 Current Scores: Approx 710 (waiting for official updates)
Message 7 of 9
mauve
Valued Contributor

DV is "debt validation" - essentially, you want them to account for the number they're asking you for.  For instance, is half of that amount what the OC was looking for and the other half interest and fees?  Also, if you don't already know, who is the OC?  

And yes, by "went away", I mean that they were deleted from my reports.  They responded to one of my DVs with a note saying that they couldn't validate and that the OC may contact me about it.  The OC did not.  The other, I don't recall getting anything back about.  It's still deleted. 

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 9
niffboy

Thanks for all the input guys. Just a bit of an update, as of this writing Paragon has yet to call. I work GY so I usually wake up to at least 2 calls back to back from them, but not today. Since they never actually put any negative posts in my credit file I will just have to wait and see what they can come up with. Hopfully it will be the end of them as well Smiley Wink

Still sad to see that even tho NCO is off my CF, my score only rebounded 64 of the 114 points it fell when NCO blindsided me. Smiley Sad

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.