cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NO credit to max credit - Update: EX8 740 and climbing!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NO credit to max credit - WWYD?

Sandman771 - thank you so very much for the well wishes! Best to you and yours.
Message 21 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which SSL would you choose: Alliant or DCU?

After some reading yesterday/today, I'm aware now of the SSL Technique and what Alliant offers.  I called and spoke with them yesterday, and was pleased with their 24/7 customer service availability, friendliness, and confirmation of the details being the same: soft pull to become member, soft pull to open savings, soft pull to open SSL.  I started the process for my husband to join/open an account (I told him, of course).  

I know the idea is to get him a borderline jumbo/conventional loan in about six months' time, plus, afterwards he wants to buy a motorcycle and a truck (and his list goes on...).  He's typically a cash buyer, but we're wanting to get his credit on track, so after reading this thread (http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Share-Secure-Loan-SSL-installment-500-vs-...) I am thinking about doing a $30k loan, rather than the $500 suggested loan for this technique for him, ideally to also increase his chances of getting higher limit loans in the future.  I would pay it down to $300 and make little payments until the end to ride out the loan and it's benefits to AAoA for the full 15 years possible (5 yrs life of loan + 10 yrs on report).  The interest would still be minimal, so I'm leaning in this direction.

I came across DCU.org, though, and noticed that their savings acct (max $750) provides 5%+ APY, and their SSL goes out 10 years with a minimum $200 loan, and it's 1%ish less than the one offered by Alliant.  The cost?  A hard pull to join.  Tomorrow I'll find out if there's an additional HP for the savings and another for the loan.  That's worst case scenario.  More details here: https://www.dcu.org/loans/savings-secured.html#rates.  

I'm not sure which I should open for him now.   

With Alliant there are no hard pulls, which is a nice bonus, plus the opportunity to do a larger limit installment loan that will look good on the report when he wants to go get the other loans in the future.

With DCU, he'd have a hard pull, which I don't believe will have a huge impact, since he has so few on his report, anyway, and within six months it'll start devaluing just in time for the house and the truck/motorcycle.  The interest rate would be less, but in both scenarios, it's already negligable.  

... I think I'm going to move forward with Alliant for him.  I just am bummed to not use such a great offer like what DCU has for this sort of situation, I think.  Any thoughts as to why I should lean more towards DCU vs Alliant, or anything else? TIA

Message 22 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NO credit to max credit - WWYD? SSL w/Alliant or DCU?

I'm excited to report that my husband's EX report rose 107 points to 740 this week! The only change on his report was paying his near 200% util credit card down to 10% util. I'm thrilled for him.

Data points:
His report includes one BoA credit card (10% util), 1 JCP store card (0% util), AAoA = 1 y 4 mo, AoOA (the BoA card) = 2 y, and total inquiries is 2 (one to fall off in just under 4 months, and the other acquired one month ago.

Given the climb and his stats, I'd say he reached the top of his current scorecard.

The next step is to open an Alliant SSL for him. Fun times ahead. I'm curious and hopeful to see the change it makes.
Message 23 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow!!! Congratulations! I'm very excited for you guys. I'm hoping to be in a mortgage soon but I have to gardenSmiley Sad   Great job! 

Message 24 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much, ndh911!  We're definitely being diligent and deliberate in our efforts with his report! Can't wait for mine to get cleaned up, so I can feel proud of it, too. Despite my tortoise start,  I have a feeling I'll still be able to beat him to the 850 finish line lol but only because it's going to take him 5+ yrs to age his properly, whereas mine just needs some cleaning and elbow grease.  It'll be a fun competition for us, especially because he doesn't know about the need to have an aged report to get there Smiley Wink

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.