cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navient + Direct Loans lates removal GW success!

tag
tiger_uppercut
Established Contributor

Navient + Direct Loans lates removal GW success!

I managed to get all of the lates on my student loan accounts with Navient and Direct Loans removed! Direct Loans, I've heard, is almost an automatic removal since they have since closed. All my DL accounts are now with Great Lakes and are 100% on-time, so I didn't have to deal with them.

Navient I was surprised by, but I figured it was worth a shot. I'm so happy. I just checked 2 more things off my CR to do list. Now to get Sallie Mae and my university to follow suit. If it weren't for the great resources on this forum, I would have never even tried. So thanks to everyone and if you're re-building, read up and tackle your own "to do" list. With persistence, it can be done. Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Navient + Direct Loans lates removal GW success!

How did you do it with Navient?

Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on your success. I have a Directloans account which was removed from my TU and EQ reports, but remains on my EX report. Would you mind PM'ing me the email contact or fax number that you used? it would be much appreciated. I faxed in a GW letter a while ago (over one year ago) but I never received a response.

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you send me the DL contact information as well?   Thanks in advance.

Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

new to this GW stuff, but very interested. How did you go about the letter? - did you give them your "story" of losing a job or whatever, or did you point out how you've been making payments on time the last xx months?

Message 5 of 23
Deltadog03
Established Contributor

Good deal!! How did you get Navient to bite?  I have 3 lates on my 7 TL, yes 7TL!!! that I was in forbearance for!!  They claim I did and got approved for it AFTER the dates late so they can't go back and remove them, even tho the forbearance was BACKDATED 4 months prior....

EQ8: 646 EQ5: 652 V3.0: 665 **8/2015
TU8: 635 TU4: 700 V3.0 :663 **8/2015
EX8: 636 EX3: 670 V3.0: ? **8/2015
CCD Util 35%

Message 6 of 23
tiger_uppercut
Established Contributor

I don't have a magic formula or contact name, unfortunately.

I drafted a GW letter to both providers outlining my excellent payment history pre- and post- unemployment. I thanked them for allowing me to educate myself and asked for a goodwill adjustment on the basis of an isolated 6 months due to unemployment and financial crisis. I attached copies of my payment history to support this and started off faxing/calling the main numbers:

https://www.navient.com/about/who-we-are/leadership/advocate/default.aspx

I'll have to dig up the contact for Direct Loans, I think it's in my files at work. I think it's kind of luck of the draw. I just kept at it even though I'd read a lot of denials/no gos on this board. Direct Loans was a lot faster, since they technically no longer exist they're a lot more willing to make an adjustment.

Message 7 of 23
tiger_uppercut
Established Contributor

@Deltadog03 wrote:

Good deal!! How did you get Navient to bite?  I have 3 lates on my 7 TL, yes 7TL!!! that I was in forbearance for!!  They claim I did and got approved for it AFTER the dates late so they can't go back and remove them, even tho the forbearance was BACKDATED 4 months prior....

I feel you, believe me. I have SEVEN Direct Loans accounts showing in my report. It's so annoying the way they break every single semester into it's own account. Regardless, being late even once or twice was a killer...so it is worth the elbow grease. I'm not out of the woods yet, my worst offender is my university loan, and they are playing serious hardball. You'd think making $7,000 in interest on a $12,500 loan ($19,500 total that is just about paid off) would be enough for them to work with me a little bit, but no dice so far. I am ready to dig in though. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!  How did you realiZe Navient lates were gone?  Did they just come off your report or did you receive a call/letter?

Message 9 of 23
tiger_uppercut
Established Contributor

I have fico monitoring and got a notification. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.