Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on another card to add for rebuilding

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need advice on another card to add for rebuilding

I cannot thank you guys enough for being so helpful to me during this process! 

Most of my old CC accounts are closed (either by me or grantor).  The only open accounts I have listed right now are a 1st and 2nd mortgage (with terrible late history, but now current for the last 3 months), a Macy's card (no lates and current - CL of $750 and balance of $300 which I am paying off this month), 2 car loans (no lates ever - one is 1.5 years old, the other 2.5 years old) and a Discover Card with a $7,800 balance (CL of $9,000), which I am paying $250 a month at this point (all current payments).  Do I need another line of open credit?  If so, what do you suggest?  My EQ and TU scores are 550-560 range, so I am not even sure it would be an option at this point if you think it might be helpful to have.  Or would the Macy's and Discover open and in good standing be enough?

Thank you for you advice!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Need advice on another card to add for rebuilding

What's your goal? If the goal is to get higher scores, then I wouldn't add any more. Your mix is pretty good and I bet you can hit 800 with what you have now (minus any baddies, lower CC balance, and some added length of history if short now). FYI, Macys is not factored into your utilization because they stopped reporting CLs last year. You can run up the balance or have no balance and it isn't hurting your util. Discover is factored in. Keep paying it down.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need advice on another card to add for rebuilding

Thank you!  I'd like to apply for a car loan in November or December.  Hoping that the deletion, lowering utilization of Discover and 6 months of current mortgage will help me get where I need to be.  I have a high rate Santander loan on the car I want to trade in, so anything under 15% interest will be a positive :-)

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.