Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help planning my next step

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help planning my next step

Hi!  I am new to this forum, so please excuse my ignorance to abbreviations. 

I've been working on my credit for the past 2 years.  I began with a credit score of 415 and today I am up to 580.  Obviously I'd like to go higher.  All of my lines of credit are paid on time and I pay my credit card balances in full each month BEFORE the cycle date.  That way I always have 0% debt, but I'm still using my cards.  To date I have 1 $500 Cap One card, 1 $1500 New Mill card, 1 $300 Kohl's card, 1 $350 VS Card, and 1 $1000 secured loan through my credit union.  4 hard inquiries.  Will raising my credit limits increase my score?

I do have a some old medical collections on my credit.  I paid 6 of them yesterday.  Will having some of those paid off or come off my report raise my score, or only if all of them are off or paid?  What would be a good next step in this situation? 

I really appreciate any help or advice anyone can offer.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Re: Need help planning my next step

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi!  I am new to this forum, so please excuse my ignorance to abbreviations. 

I've been working on my credit for the past 2 years.  I began with a credit score of 415 and today I am up to 580.  Obviously I'd like to go higher.  All of my lines of credit are paid on time and I pay my credit card balances in full each month BEFORE the cycle date.  That way I always have 0% debt, but I'm still using my cards.  To date I have 1 $500 Cap One card, 1 $1500 New Mill card, 1 $300 Kohl's card, 1 $350 VS Card, and 1 $1000 secured loan through my credit union.  4 hard inquiries.  Will raising my credit limits increase my score?

I do have a some old medical collections on my credit.  I paid 6 of them yesterday.  Will having some of those paid off or come off my report raise my score, or only if all of them are off or paid?  What would be a good next step in this situation? 

I really appreciate any help or advice anyone can offer.  Thanks!

Congrats so far on your progress.

IMO i would let one credit card report a very small balance of $10 or less monthly and alternate the cards as you see fit. For some reason FICO likes to see a small balance remaining for increased scores. Just make sure you keep it to only one credit card to report the balance and make sure you pay it in full after the statement hits as not to accrue interest charges.

As far as the medical collections being paid and unpaid will have no effect on your credit scores. The collection still remains and that is what has an impact on your credit scores. Since you have paid a few of them already IMO I would attempt a goodwill letter to have them removed and proceed with the HIPPA process. You can google HIPPA to see what has to be done and follow it completely. 

Once the collections are either removed or fall off your reports you should see improvements in your scores.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much!  I appreciate your quick response and time.  Some of the ones I paid yesterday said that they would remove them completely and come said that it would just show as "paid".  I was able to play "Let's Make a Deal" with a few since they were so old.  "I'll give you money today if you take it off my credit completely tomorrow".  Most of them jumped at that.

I'm unclear on one part.  Does it matter how many collection accounts a person has?  For example, if I have 6 (all paid) is that the same as having 10 paid or unpaid? 

Thanks again!

Message 3 of 5
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you very much!  I appreciate your quick response and time.  Some of the ones I paid yesterday said that they would remove them completely and come said that it would just show as "paid".  I was able to play "Let's Make a Deal" with a few since they were so old.  "I'll give you money today if you take it off my credit completely tomorrow".  Most of them jumped at that.

I'm unclear on one part.  Does it matter how many collection accounts a person has?  For example, if I have 6 (all paid) is that the same as having 10 paid or unpaid? 

Thanks again!

Yes it matters how many collections you have, but it doesn't matter if they are paid or unpaid. The fact that they are collections is what matters.

The ones that are medical that have not agreed to remove I would follow up with the HIPPA process. It takes a little time to complete it but is usually very successful in having the medical collections removed.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks again!  Have a beautiful day!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.