Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OVER RAN WITH MEDICAL COLLECTIONS

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

OVER RAN WITH MEDICAL COLLECTIONS

RECENTLY HAVE BEEN INVESTIGATING FIXING MY CREDIT. I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN TOLD MEDICAL COLLECTIONS COULDNT AFFECT YOUR SCORE BUT RECENTLY LEARNED THEY CAN.

IS THERE A WAY TO GET THEM REMOVED WITH OUT PAYING THEM OFF? I OWE AROUND 20,000 IN MED COLLECTIONS!

I NEED AS MANY SUGGESTIONS AS POSSIBLE IM TOATLY LOST

THANKS

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
annielorie
Valued Contributor

Re: OVER RAN WITH MEDICAL COLLECTIONS

Google HIPPA process about not paying at all see if the hospital you were dealing with has some sort of charity care!  Its based on your assets at time of admittence and salary.

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 2 of 4
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@annielorie wrote:

Google HIPPA process about not paying at all see if the hospital you were dealing with has some sort of charity care!  Its based on your assets at time of admittence and salary.

The HIPAA process is for paid medical debt, not outstanding medical debt. If you still owe the money, you cannot HIPAA.

The whole 'medical doesn't impact your credit' myth is based in a little truth. Lenders will often ignore medical collections when making underwriting decisions, but the collection account itself will impact your FICO score.

I think Annie has a solid idea, you should see if you are eligible for some form of relief. If not, you will probably have to consider entering to some form of payment plan, or you will have to weather the storm until these debts are no longer legally collectible or valid to report on your credit report.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 3 of 4
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the forums,

Would need more information. You don't have to answer if you don't want to.

Is this 20K after insurance?  How old are these debts?

Was it a car accident?

Did you apply for any type of medical assistance?..... like disability, your states Medicaid program,etc.

Do you have an income or the funds to pay for these debts or part of the debt?

Sorry for all the questions, but we would need to know more about your situation, in order to help you.

I hope you understand.Smiley Wink

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.