Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid OC but CA still reporting?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paid OC but CA still reporting?

Good evening,

I have a question as I'm not sure how this works. I had a small collection from 9/2019 pop up on my credit report. The total was $205. It was a missed final bill with Ameren (a utility company). I didn't get the forwarded bill when I moved unfortunately.

I paid that collection in March 2020. I paid the collection directly with the original creditor. I did NOT pay the collection agency reporting it on my credit report. The collection agency is LJ Ross and Associates. It is reporting on all 3 CR's as $0 balance, paid, closed. Last reported 6/7/20. However it is 1 year old and 6 more years of this will be tough on my scores.

I am in the process of writing or calling them. Is this reporting accurate? If you pay an OC and the CA still reports the debt? Should it have been removed from my report since I paid the OC? Or is it rightfully reporting? I am all about accurate information showing on reports. I am just curious on if I need to send a GW letter/call at their mercy or if they are supposed to remove the TL. OR...do I need to contact the OC and request they tell the CA to remove/recall the account as they were paid directly? 

Thank you all in advance.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Paid OC but CA still reporting?

Unfortunately it can stay, since you simply paid the debt and did not try to negotiate a "Pay for delete" with the CA prior, or better yet, contact the OC and ask them recall the debt before paying directly. At this point, yes, you'd have to resort to trying for a GW removal.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

He’s absolutely correct.
Message 3 of 13
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OmarGB9 @Anonymous @gdale6 

Thank you, thank you! This answered it perfectly. I will attempt a GW. At the time of paying the debt to the OC, I didn't know about the ins and outs of PFD, recalling, and all that Jazz. 

Message 5 of 13
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

sent you a PM.

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 6 of 13
alipz
New Contributor

I have the same situation with a utility company, but different CA. I paid the original creditor because the CA kept giving me the run around saying they couldn't find my acct, or they would send me a settlement letter, but never did...

It burns having that collection on my reports after paying it off and working hard to clean up everything else. 

Message 7 of 13
tehdrizzle
New Contributor

Seems normal from what I have on mine.  I have over 14 negative/collection items showing and they were all included in our bankruptcy which was discharged.  My Wife has nothing on hers, but I ended up with all the "good stuff" apparently.

Just stuff away cash, it takes 7 years for these things to fall off of your reports from what I'm being told.  Just save for the next 7 years and you'll have a nice stockpile and get a nice bump when they drop off.  That's what I'm doing anyway..

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went to the website of the CA and under contact us you can only leave basic information and a lengthy comment. I explained the reason for contacting them, that I paid the OC, that I'd like to receive a response to discuss removing this small paid collection, and went into a little detail. Didn't leave much for identifying information but I believe they were able to find the TL with the info I did provide.

Within a week, no response from them came my way. However, they must have read it as they removed the entire TL from all of my credit reports. Thanks for all the advice. I consider this a GW success! I am sure it being a very small collection right at one year old helped encourage them to do away with the TL entirely. 

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I went to the website of the CA and under contact us you can only leave basic information and a lengthy comment. I explained the reason for contacting them, that I paid the OC, that I'd like to receive a response to discuss removing this small paid collection, and went into a little detail. Didn't leave much for identifying information but I believe they were able to find the TL with the info I did provide.

Within a week, no response from them came my way. However, they must have read it as they removed the entire TL from all of my credit reports. Thanks for all the advice. I consider this a GW success! I am sure it being a very small collection right at one year old helped encourage them to do away with the TL entirely. 

@Anonymous that's what I'm talking about, well done! I am so happy for you, things like this make my day!

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.