Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question Regarding Disputes

tag
kblatt
New Contributor

Question Regarding Disputes

Hello everyone,

FIrst thanks for all the wealth of information found on these forums, it's helped me greatly in re-building credit.  I had a quick question regarding the removal of baddies from my CRs.

I had a total of 6, and was able to in contact and got verbal agreements from 5 of the 6 creditors to remove the negative information from each of my 3 agency reports.  Some have dropped off, while others have lingered.  Would it be wise to also follow through with a dispute on the ones that have not dropped off in the next two weeks, noting that the creditors agreed to remove the negative remarks from my file?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
jmc912
Valued Member

Re: Question Regarding Disputes

Have you followed up with them? Sometimes it can take 60-90 days to fall off. It took 30 days for my bank to delete something. Most places don't report to the CRAs more than once a month. How long has it been?

Message 2 of 6
kblatt
New Contributor

About 3 weeks.  I've had some drop off within a few days, other took longer.  Confused because I've seen activity from all creditors except one, but not consitent across all reports.  Assuming this had to do with the frequency in which the CB's updated my file.

I figured I'd wait another two weeks to a month or so before following back up, but was curious was the best course of action was.

Message 3 of 6
jmc912
Valued Member

I personally would give them a call in a week or so and say that it hasn't fallen off your report and ask when they report to the CRAs. Some take forever to update! 

Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The issue is the reason why they stated they would delete.

If it was simply as a result of a GW gesture on their part, and the reporting is accurate, then there is no basis for a dispute.

It becomes a matter of their compliance with an oral promise, for which the best bet would be to file a complaint with the BBB directed at their bad business practice rather than asserting some actual violation of the FCRA. 

The CRAs are not enforcers of private agreements between a consumer and a creditor/debt collector.  In fact, if the deletion was promised based on a PFD, such grounds for deletion is contrary to the written policy of the CRAs, so disputing with them on a basis that is against their policy would not be my recommendation.

However, if deletion was based on some finding of inaccuracy in their reporting, then a direct dispute with them would be my recommendation.

Message 5 of 6
kblatt
New Contributor

Thanks for the advice.  It seems the killer baddie dropped yesterday, and saw my EQ FICO jump to 720... pretty incredible.  I never thought I would have moved such a large % of my score in such a short period of time (599 -> 720 in roughly 3 weeks).  Thanks to everyone who contributes at these forums, it's pretty much the only way I was able to navigate the system and take care of the lingering issues with my credit!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.