Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuild credit questions

tag
CSX1466
Valued Member

Rebuild credit questions

My Fico scores are. Equifax 588. Trans Union 593 and Experian 559. I paid off all old collections ( 6 total) with deletion requests for 6 months ago. I have only one CC and that's ( capital one secured 300$. ( rebuilding purposes) I have a public record that's showing to be coming off in Sept of this year. Only real negative thing are 13 inq from Car dealer. I have a current auto loan in good standing for 16K. Payments have been on time for 8 months now. I applied for a lowes card and got denied. Also another store card and got denied. Anything else I should try or apply for to help boost a score. Want to buy a house in the next year . Please help
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rebuild credit questions

Hello and welcome to the forums.  Congrats on paying off those old collections, but if they're still listed on your CR, then they're still hurting.  Have you checked to see if they're still there?  If they are, you will need to see if a GW to them might help.  

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 8
CreditRepairGirl23
New Contributor

*Agree with other poster

First thing I learned (that didnt make any sense) Paying a collection does not really seem to impact anything, its getting it off your report that helps.

Either by originally negotiating to pay for delete or good will letters requesting deletion after the fact.

If you paid them already I would start with goodwill letter, and dont give up.

I sent mine, waited a week and called to follow up.

Some were super easy. I searched the forums for people who previously dealt with whatever collection agency I was dealing with and asked for direct contacts they used.

I even did some good wills and pfd's by email!

Most important do not get discouraged and do not give up!

Message 3 of 8
VLGaffEsq
Regular Contributor

My current situation appears to be very similar to yours; rebuilding credit in hopes of buying a house in a year or two.  One thing I would advise: No more credit inquires until you apply for a mortgage (that would be a red flag). Also, time helps as baddies may fall off,  but I would also suggest trying to goodwill anything you can over the next year.  Plus as time passes, your credit will keep improving, but above all, do not apply for any new credit at this point!  Good luck with the home buying process (hopefully interest rates will remain low until you are able to buy).

Message 4 of 8
CSX1466
Valued Member

Thanks guys and gals. Appreciate it. Does anyone know how many times u can pull your report. Does it hurt u to keep checking it monthly.
Message 5 of 8
guitarguybs07
Established Member

Nope! You can check your scores and reports as many times as you want without effecting your score whatsoever. Those inquiries are only visible to you.

However...it can definitely effect your wallet if you keep continually purchasing reports. Try evaluating the costs for different credit monitoring services.

There's a great guide on this forum here:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Credit-Monitoring-Service-CMS-Guide/td-p/66254...

Starting Scores (05/28/2013): EQ (FICO): 582 / TU (FICO): 587 / EX (FAKO): 586
Current Scores (08/14/2013): EQ (FICO): 663 / TU (FICO): 701 / EX (FICO): 680
Goal Score: 700 (Averaged)

Message 6 of 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

+1

It is specifically written that checking your own CRs will not affect your credit.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 7 of 8
CSX1466
Valued Member

Awesome Ty really appreciate it. I def will be asking more ? Learned alot so far
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.