Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received collection letter today.

tag
Jaydawg220
Contributor

Received collection letter today.

Hey Everybody.

Iv been trying to get 4 Collections accounts removed off of my credit Report. I have successfully removed 1, and have 3 to go.

Today, I received 2 collection letters; Both from Convergent Outsourcing, 1 for PSEG (electric Company) and 1 for Optimum (Cable).

These were both from over 10 years ago, and I even called PSEG today, and it was first defaulted on Aug, 2009.

My question is, Should I worry about these showing up of my Credit Report? I am super nervouse that they will, and then i will have 2 more collections to have removed. 1 was hard enough to remove, and I still have 3 more to go.

Starting Fico 8s- TU 485 EX 470 EQ 470 [1/1/2015]
Current Fico 8s- TU 638 EX 626 EQ 615 [5/1/2017]
Merrick Bank $1100, Wells Fargo Secured $300, NFCU Secured $800, First Premier $300, CareCredit $3000, Fingerhut $800
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Received collection letter today.

You need to check into what your states statute of limitation for debts is..... That sounds extremely old. They should not even be contacting you about a 2009 debt and they definitely can't collect at this point. Our state's statute of limitation is 6 years. So if they have not gotten a judgment against you or anything, they can't collect.

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Whenever a debt collector reports a collection to the CRA, they are required under FCRA 623(a)(5) to provide the DOFD on the OC account to the CRA no later than 90 days after reporting of their collection.

That DOFD, and that DOFD alone, is then used by the CRA to determine exclusion of the reported collection.

Exclusion can be no later than 7 years plus 180 days after the reported DOFD, regardless of when the collection is reported to the CRA.  FCRA 605(c).

The only exception to that statutory provision under the FCRA is for a federal student loan, which has its own credit report exclusion date under the Higher Education Act.

Cable and utility debts are subject to the normal FCRA exclusion provision.

Thus, if the DOFD is more than 7 years plus 180 days ago, the collection cannot be included in any credit report provided by the CRA.

Message 3 of 4
Jaydawg220
Contributor

Ok good. The PSEG one was from Aug 2009. The optimum one was from Dec 2011. I called Convergent to inquire about both as to wheather or not they are reported on my credit report (which they both are not), and the CSR's response was they do not report for Optimum or PSEG. He stated that each Company does their own reporting.

Starting Fico 8s- TU 485 EX 470 EQ 470 [1/1/2015]
Current Fico 8s- TU 638 EX 626 EQ 615 [5/1/2017]
Merrick Bank $1100, Wells Fargo Secured $300, NFCU Secured $800, First Premier $300, CareCredit $3000, Fingerhut $800
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.