Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Pay off IRS or Credit Cards First

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I Pay off IRS or Credit Cards First

Hi I'm new here!! I really need some help I am trying to repair my credit and get out of debt this year!! My credit score is about 675 now

I owe the IRS for 2015 $1967  2016 $3997 

I owe Discover $635

Legacy   $ 750

Walmart $692

Merrick  $547

Capital One $173

Capital One $1066

Credit One $750

Credit One $1869

Where do I start what should I pay off first Thanks  Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I Pay off IRS or Credit Cards First

IRS will screw you with penalties and interest. Call them and ask for a low payment plan.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!! I am currently on a payment plan but it seems like I have been paying them for years and the interest and penatilities keep growing I don't know what to do

Message 3 of 8
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

What's your end goal? How much of a monthly payment do you have to use for your pay down plan? 

I suggest you make minimum payments on the credit cards while you pay off the tax debt. 

As you know, the interest and penalty on taxes is higher than any credit card you have (I owe 25k+ in taxes).

on the other hand, you are no where near the tax lien range, so paying off your cc might give you satisfaction and boost your scores. 

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks!! I am currently on a payment plan but it seems like I have been paying them for years and the interest and penatilities keep growing I don't know what to do

I see you been paying them. Have you tried the offer of compromise? It isnt easy to get approved. But as long as your paying you'll aviod a tax lien and then garnishment which leaves you with nothing to live on. Thats why I filed.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!! I was paying them $150 per month but it has taken me years it seems like!! I am going to try to start paying them $300 per month!! I like your idea of paying them off first then the credit card I think this is the best method!!

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FireMedic1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I see you been paying them. Have you tried the offer of compromise? It isnt easy to get approved. But as long as your paying you'll aviod a tax lien and then garnishment which leaves you with nothing to live on. Thats why I filed.

Thanks I have never tried an offer of compromise I may contact them about this

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@newmomnewme wrote:

What's your end goal? How much of a monthly payment do you have to use for your pay down plan? 

I suggest you make minimum payments on the credit cards while you pay off the tax debt. 

As you know, the interest and penalty on taxes is higher than any credit card you have (I owe 25k+ in taxes).

on the other hand, you are no where near the tax lien range, so paying off your cc might give you satisfaction and boost your scores. 

Thanks!! I was paying them $150 per month but it has taken me years it seems like!! I am going to try to start paying them $300 per month!! I like your idea of paying them off first then the credit card I think this is the best method!!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.