Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too much, too soon? Shell Shocked from BK

tag
chickadee
Established Member

Too much, too soon? Shell Shocked from BK

My husband and I filed BK in April 2010 that was discharged in July 2010.  Having been so traumatized by the events leading up to this, we did NOTHING to rebuild our credit and finally this month started to rebuild our credit.  I had to drag my husband kicking and screaming to the auto dealer for a car loan because he has a problem accepting that in America you need a credit score (he is not American but has been here 12 years as a permanent U.S. resident).

My EQ=656

MyFico "didn't have enough info" to generate a score for my husband.

my report

1 BK

10 accounts 60+ Late

12 derogs

On 5/4 I applied and was approved for CapitalOne Secured CC for $200. (one inquiry)

Today we cosigned on a car loan (also, coincidentally, with CapOne) for $15,000/72 months, 14.99%. (3 different inquiries within one week)

I also have 1 inquiry from 11/11 when I applied for a promotional credit card with Chase (declined)

Also, Wells Fargo was pulling a hard inquiry every month because I had the "opportunity" checking account and for some reason they were doing a hard pull every 30 days or so.  When I realized that, I raised a fuss and they stopped, but those inquiries will show until Sept of this year.

We plan to get hubby the same CC with Cap One but I just discovered the Amex Zync.  Is it too much, too soon to apply for the Zync so soon after the others?  I guess my reasoning is that all the inquiries are lumped together and they will all disappear at the same time, possibly just in time to start shopping for a house.

Mid-range goals: to refinance the car loan after 6-12 months to lower the 14.99% rate.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Re: Too much, too soon? Shell Shocked from BK

congrats on the car loan. you will get better and more responses if you post your amex question in the cc forum and any questions you have about refi. your auto loan in the auto loans section. as far as your husband goes with amex. i dont know if amex is bk friendly. those who are bk friendly generally like to see 2 years post discharge. while the zync is the way in with amex its also a hard card to get for starters. I would suggest he go the same route is you and do a cap one secured or he might qualify for a cap one unsecured card to get the rebuilding process going. get some tradelines going then a year from then see where he stands then try amex if they are bk friendly

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 2 of 3
chickadee
Established Member

Re: Too much, too soon? Shell Shocked from BK

Thanks a lot!  I appreciate the response.  I just just the scorewatch alert for new inquiries... 3 new inquiries just from the auto loan but only one looks like an auto inquiry.  While it didn't drop my score, I'm bummed that the others don't say "auto" in case it is believed I'm going credit crazy.

Going to check CC section for more info. Thanks again!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.