Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What identifying info to include in DV?

tag
NWintellectual
Regular Contributor

What identifying info to include in DV?

Good afternoon all,

I am in the process of writing up my DV letters to send to the various CAs listed on my credit reports. MY question is what identifying information (aside from that included on the credit reports) should I include in my letter? Last 4 of SSN? Copy of ID?

I don't want to give too much information because if they are accurately reporting the account, they should already have most of this, but I want to ensure they know I am the person to whom is associated with the account if it is mine. Most of these accounts I believe are mine, but I am trying to get an accurate accounting of the balance so I don't pay more than I have to and to use this information to craft a fair settlement/PFD offer.

Thanks in advance Smiley Happy

Below is the DV letter I am sending out:

SENT VIA USPS CERTIFIED MAIL (RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED) # _____________________

[today’s date]

[My Name]

[My Address]

[My City/State/ZIP]

[CA Name]

[CA Address]

[CA City/State/ZIP]

Re:Account # [account number]

To whom it may concern:

This letter is being sent to you in response to [source of information]. For your convenience, I have included copies of this information with this letter. Be advised that this is not a refusal to pay, but a notice sent pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act § 809(b) (15 USC 1692g) that validation is requested. In addition, in no way should this letter be constructed or interpreted to believe I am in any way affirming or acknowledging this alleged debt is in fact mine.

This is NOT a request for “verification” or proof of my mailing address, but a request for VALIDATION made pursuant to the above named Title and Section. I respectfully request that your offices provide me with competent evidence that I have any legal obligation to pay you.

Please provide me with the following:

• What the money you say I owe is for,

• Explain and show me how you calculated what you say I owe,

• Copies of any papers that show I agreed to pay what you say I owe,

• A verification or copy of any judgment (if applicable),

• The original creditor’s name and address,

• Prove the Statute of Limitations has not expired on this account,

• Show me that you are licensed to collect in my state,

• Provide me with your license numbers and Registered Agent.

Please provide this information to me within thirty (30) days of receipt of this letter.

Finally, please do not contact me by telephone for any reason.  All future communication with me must be in writing, sent to the above address by mail. Any attempts to contact me via any other means, including (but not limited to) telephone solicitation or electronic correspondence, shall be considered violations of the FDCPA and FCRA (as well as any other relevant state and Federal laws that may apply) and be pursued according to the remedies afforded by those statutes.

Kind regards,

[me]

Attachments

• [Source of information]

Starting Score (2/15/14): TU 533 (myFICO) | EQ 509 (myFICO)
Latest score (4/5/14): TU 541 (Lender) | EQ 562 (SW) | EX 576 (myFICO)
Goal Score by 9/30/14: 620+ | Goal Score by 6/30/15: 700+
-----
My wallet:
US Bank LanPass Secured $500 | US Bank HD Secured $300 | Fingerhut $200 | Local CU $1000
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What identifying info to include in DV?

Never include DL or any other form of ID with a DV to a CA/JDB this includes SSN, letters to be unsigned as well, type name.

Message 2 of 13
NWintellectual
Regular Contributor

Is it OK to include the cover page of your CR that might contain the last 4 of SSN?
-----
My wallet:
US Bank LanPass Secured $500 | US Bank HD Secured $300 | Fingerhut $200 | Local CU $1000
Message 3 of 13
guiness56
Epic Contributor

That letter is asking for things a CA simply does not have to supply you.

A DV should be a simple letter:  You are collecting on this alleged debt, account #______.  Per FDCPA 809, please validate.  Also include the name and address of the original creditor and an itemization of the debt.

Don't send them anything else, not even a copy of your CR.  It is there job to validate the debt, not yours.

Message 4 of 13
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

A DV should be a simple letter:  You are collecting on this alleged debt, account #______.  Per FDCPA 809, please validate.  Also include the name and address of the original creditor and an itemization of the debt.

Don't send them anything else, not even a copy of your CR.  It is there job to validate the debt, not yours.

I often wonder how many times, since 2008, that Guiness has responded to someone about that convoluted internet DV and how it asks for things not required to be provided.... Smiley Happy

(i dont really often wonder, I suppose I just wondered now lol)

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 5 of 13
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@rckstrscott wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

I often wonder how many times, since 2008, that Guiness has responded to someone about that convoluted internet DV and how it asks for things not required to be provided.... Smiley Happy

-scott

2008?  Why that date?

But, many, many lol.

Message 6 of 13
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

@rckstrscott wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

-scott

2008?  Why that date?

But, many, many lol.

Oh just because you registered in 2008 haha

I should have said "Since Guiness first corrected me in 2011, I wonder how many....'

-scott

Message 7 of 13
NWintellectual
Regular Contributor

Thank you Guiness! I'm glad I caught this before sending out a whole barrage of these things on the 28th.

One final question, should you send one per account or one per CA? I have two accounts listed from EOS-CCA claiming to be old unpaid ATT cell phone bills. Can these be combined into a single letter or should I send two different letters?

-----
My wallet:
Message 8 of 13
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@NWintellectual wrote:

Thank you Guiness! I'm glad I caught this before sending out a whole barrage of these things on the 28th.

One final question, should you send one per account or one per CA? I have two accounts listed from EOS-CCA claiming to be old unpaid ATT cell phone bills. Can these be combined into a single letter or should I send two different letters?

OHHHHHH

EOS-CCA??? Check your PMS -- I got you on that...

-scott

Message 9 of 13
NWintellectual
Regular Contributor

I just checked. Thanks.

So for them just send an email attachment?

-----
My wallet:
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.